• ACES Equipment and Secaucus Platform Extension

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

kilroy wrote:Maybe a new exective car for the brass to tour the railroad in (like the days of old)?
NJT is too egalitarian for that in my opinion.
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:
kilroy wrote:Maybe a new exective car for the brass to tour the railroad in (like the days of old)?
Also the press would love that- "a private car for the taxpayer subsidized NJT brass!"
  by philipmartin

philipmartin wrote:
Another reason for not having NJT business cars- our system only covers one little state, not about fourteen of them as Conrail did.
  by Thomas

The Secaucus Platform Extension will certainly become useful if FIFA moves the 2018 or 2022 World Cup to USA--which is possible at this point--which would enable games to get played in Metlife Stadium in NJ.
  by Hawaiitiki

Thomas wrote:The Secaucus Platform Extension will certainly become useful if FIFA moves the 2018 or 2022 World Cup to USA--which is possible at this point--which would enable games to get played in Metlife Stadium in NJ.
They'll get a shake out for sure when this rolls to town:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Am%C3 ... Centenario" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by amtrakowitz

Ken S. wrote:I wonder if 8800 is going to be a demo of sorts to Amtrak for a new corridor car.
No. Amtrak is ordering their new stuff from CAF, and BBD is still on their bad side with respect to the Acela debacle AFAICS.
  by ApproachMedium

amtrakowitz wrote:
Ken S. wrote:I wonder if 8800 is going to be a demo of sorts to Amtrak for a new corridor car.
No. Amtrak is ordering their new stuff from CAF, and BBD is still on their bad side with respect to the Acela debacle AFAICS.
Regardless the Multilevel design has already been discussed to no end that it is not a good design for amtrak corridor services due to the lack of luggage storage at seats.
  by F40

ApproachMedium wrote:
amtrakowitz wrote:
Regardless the Multilevel design has already been discussed to no end that it is not a good design for amtrak corridor services due to the lack of luggage storage at seats.
Even though the MLV design may be limiting for corridor services, I can't help but wonder if that design can be used for the LD diners/sleepers/lounges. Trains out of NYP usually have two (at most 3?) with the exception of the Cardinal which last I heard has only 1. The coaches can be kept as single level for luggage room. As long as Amtrak does not mind the aesthetics of mixing the two equipment together (make the couplings/electronics compatible with the Amfleet II's), I really wonder if it can be a viable option. They obviously do not need to keep all 4 doors and as long as you have the shell, I think everything could be made differently.

Though "rail-buffs" (myself included) probably contributed to this discussion to no end, how many of us are actually interior designers and actually work in that field? Anything is possible with an exchange of ideas from designers, engineers, builders, and even passengers. I think it would be a neat thing if it ever came into existence.
Last edited by F40 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Silverliner II wrote:
jlr3266 wrote:Anyone know what the plans for 8800 are?
New commuter club car, maybe? Oh, wait, about that... ;-)
I suspect possibly. This would allow the Jersey Shore Commuter Club to return to its pre-2009 NYP slot, after when 5459 was switched to HOB since the NYP runs became multilevels.
  by CNJGeep

You do know JSCC is disbanded, right?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Didn't know JSCC dissolved after 80 years (founded 1933).
  by bostontrainguy

How about this? Amtrak buys the ACES cars (at a good discount) and converts them into Superliner style diners. Kitchen on the bottom, table seating on the top, maybe a waiting area and take-out counter at the coach end, and a few more tables (including one HP space) at the sleeper end. It would serve a lot more paying passengers and generate more revenue especially for the Lake Shore Limited and Silver Meteor.
  by nomis

As was mentioned in the other thread in f=46 ... Three of the four aces cars have been converted back to NJT Coach Seating, and the 4th is held for the discretion as a business car and renumbered out of the 7000 series.
  by 25Hz

nomis wrote:As was mentioned in the other thread in f=46 ... Three of the four aces cars have been converted back to NJT Coach Seating, and the 4th is held for the discretion as a business car and renumbered out of the 7000 series.
Was that the one with the big lounge area?
  by CNJGeep

There was one former ACES car that retained ACES configuration. It was renumbered 8800 and had some sort of branding attached to it. I believe it went back west to get turned into a regular coach.