Railroad Forums 

• ACES Equipment and Secaucus Platform Extension

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1222047  by Walla183

While riding the NEC each morning, I've noticed the four ACES ML's have been seeing daylight as of late. Any ideas what will become of these cars?

The lower level of Secaucus station is seemingly going through a platform extension project on the east end of the station. Looks like maybe 40 feet of concrete slab has been fitted in the last week or so. Sorry if I missed it, why go through this exercise now?
 #1222053  by Amtrak7

Walla183 wrote:The lower level of Secaucus station is seemingly going through a platform extension project on the east end of the station. Looks like maybe 40 feet of concrete slab has been fitted in the last week or so. Sorry if I missed it, why go through this exercise now?
Super Bowl prep, I believe.
 #1222063  by ns3010

I saw two of the ACES ML's at the MMC yesterday, no sign of the other six. I believe all of them were at Port Morris at one point, so it seems like they've started to migrate back towards the MMC.
 #1222264  by Fan Railer

Amtrak7 wrote:
Walla183 wrote:The lower level of Secaucus station is seemingly going through a platform extension project on the east end of the station. Looks like maybe 40 feet of concrete slab has been fitted in the last week or so. Sorry if I missed it, why go through this exercise now?
Super Bowl prep, I believe.
Yes, that is correct. Extension of the lower level platforms to accommodate the 10 car shuttle trains that will be running that day.
 #1222279  by Matt Johnson

ns3010 wrote:I saw two of the ACES ML's at the MMC yesterday, no sign of the other six. I believe all of them were at Port Morris at one point, so it seems like they've started to migrate back towards the MMC.
I noticed at least one ACES car at the MMC back in late August from aboard a Bayhead - Hoboken train.
 #1222346  by CNJGeep

ApproachMedium wrote:I thought two of these cars were already sent out for their rebuild and de-ACES so they will be regular commuter MLVs now.
If they did, they're either not back yet or not out and about.
 #1222548  by Silverliner II

ACES coaches 7229, 7230, 7231, and 7232 were parked on the Center Street connection to the Conrail P&H Line this morning awaiting pickup by Conrail for transport.... somewhere.....
 #1222639  by JCGUY

Great shots!

I'd also love to see the expanded bus area, which seems like it'll be very useful on those occasions when the Lincoln tunnel XBL is tied up and buses are diverted to Secaucus. The way the NEC is positioned, it's more or less impossible to see either project from the trains.

O.t., but does anyone have any idea what that huge, linear view-destroying earthen embankment on the east side of the approach to Secaucus Transfer is?
 #1222646  by loufah

How's the TVM situation at Secaucus and Penn Station? Reports from the U2 concert said they were a bottleneck.

Maybe there'll be a special on-board pricing ($20 or so) like the Far Hills Steeplechase?
 #1222688  by kilroy

On the plus side, the extended platforms will make the shot of westbounds coming under the signals a little closer.