Railroad Forums 

• A "NEW" RS-3 FOR THE DELAWARE-LACKAWANNA

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#451071  by Mike Walsh

Nova55 wrote:
pablo wrote:Perhaps a stupid question...but is that thing FRA legal? That thing looks rough...it's not even in the consist behind the power like most dead in tow units go...

Dave Becker
Why wouldn't it be? Its not leading or being occupied so all that safety stuff isn't needed..its dead in tow...long as the brakes work...
i thought any locomotives being towed were supposed to be directly behind the power, so that they could hook up cables to the unit, in the event any alarms go off (wheel lock, etc etc)... they would know..... or something to that extent. I'm almost confident that they can't be dragged in the middle of a consist.

#451085  by W.E.Coyote

I've seen CP do similar to their own power (Two AC4400's, SD40-2F, SD40-2, then 4/5 cars back a GP7 in transit). As well as with the new GO Transit units on delivery (the latest one was about 20 cars back on a train!)

As for DL 4068, it is currently set off in Milton Ont. on a siding.

#451088  by pablo

Well, I think it must be railroad specific...because I know some railroads that have a specific rule about locomotives dead in tow, and how they should be at the bak of the consist...but certainly within it.

Dave Becker
 #451531  by W.E.Coyote

sixaxlealcoII wrote:Any idea why it was set out ?

Michael Thomas
Wheel troubles.

#451600  by RS-3

Geeze, guess they wore the wheels out hauling it back and forth across Canada for the past three weeks.

RS

#453095  by W.E.Coyote

Unit now traces to Binghampton as of Oct 5th.

#453658  by thebigham

You mean, Binghamtom.

Thanks!

#453841  by metman499

Unit was reported in Taylor yesterday and the DL was expected to pick her up today. Any word on this?

#453877  by alcodoc

The DL has it.

Alcodoc

#453880  by metman499

Thanks Don

#453976  by lvrr325

pablo wrote:Perhaps a stupid question...but is that thing FRA legal? That thing looks rough...it's not even in the consist behind the power like most dead in tow units go...

Dave Becker
Handrails appear to be present and accounted for, and not bent or damaged; doors are pretty obviously open and accessible; windows not present are boarded up. It must have good brakes on it to pass the air test and inspections. And it's roller bearing so no issues there.

#459645  by AdamCKach

Any chance this will match the other pair of RS-3s, or will it (someday?) receive corporate colors?

#459854  by alcodoc

4068 will be painted black to match the other 2 units.

Alcodoc

#459992  by AdamCKach

alcodoc wrote:4068 will be painted black to match the other 2 units.

Alcodoc
Great news... the possibility for a tripleheader of RS-3s in 2007/08.... what is old is new.