Railroad Forums 

• A "NEW" RS-3 FOR THE DELAWARE-LACKAWANNA

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#487951  by super7cr

As long as the equipment handling rules of a particular railroad allow it, a unit can be transported anywhere within the train. Personally, when I transport locomotives in my train, I like to have them behind the power, and I have been faced with the situation in the past of having them behind my power or in the middle of the train.

This engine was obviously set up as a "boxcar" which means the independent brake was cut out and the automatic brake was cut out as well. This means the only brake application the brakes respond to is an automatic brake reduction on the lead engine, which effectively makes it a "boxcar."

I don't like having engines like this anywhere in my consist or train set up as a boxcar. Fact is, engine brakes are set up differently than car brakes, and when you make an automatic brake reduction on your train and brakes on these "boxcars" come on, the brakes think they are responding to an independent brake reduction which I believe forms flat spots on engines. I'd rather just have them right behind my consist, with the main res., actuating hose and brake pipe tied right in so it acts like an engine in my consist thats not running....

Long story short, what you are seeing here is legal. I don't know of any class one that doesn't allow it.

#488004  by pablo

I'll have to look for my NS timetable. If anyone has one, please chime in.

I remember being told that NS didn't allow dead in tow units other than behind the power. Now, I could be speaking of trainhandling techniques where all loads should be together, and so on, but I know I've read it someplace...and I thought it was a reliable item, like in a timetable...

Dave Becker
 #547869  by Otto Vondrak

Alcoman wrote:Just learned today that the DL will soon be the new owner of ex- Delaware & Hudson 4068.
Any status updates on this unit?

-otto-
 #550185  by krazytrain

the engine runs and moves around fine when i seen it run at the shops. it was getting electrical work done last i seen and i think they threw a new traction moter in.
 #550289  by Aji-tater

The way to avoid such problems is to back off the adjustment on the distributing valve. While you may want 40 or 50 lbs brake cylinder pressure when using the locomotive, as previously said a heavy brake application while it is set up as a boxcar can flatten the wheels.

If you back off that safety valve to maybe 25 - 30 lbs or so, it is enough to get piston travel but will vent anything over that so there is insufficient pressure to lock up and slide the wheels.