Railroad Forums 

• 2015-2016 NYS Train Show Schedule

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1367533  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:
sd80mac wrote:
BTW... I dont think that the venders are going to stand on plywood above the ice and being COLD!!! Also Arena wouldnt do that... spilled drinks, dust/dirt, food, etc that would fall in between plywoods... Not good for ice surface, Zamboni, and skates
it's worth noting there's a hockey arena in Batavia, too, I noticed by accident looking at something else on Maps so I asked the GSME folks about it. But as I suspected when I asked, they have hockey/ice events going on during the Batavia show dates.

At this point I presume we'll all see when we get there in a couple months.
I was referring plywood covering to someone else's comment about covering up ice for the short term event.

I want make sure that you understood that I am not against the train show that will be held at the arena. That's the good place to have train show at. I am just saying that i'm surprised to see that they're turning ice off that early than normally.

The small rink arena at Batavia, Canandiagua, Scottsville, Geneva, and others and as well as most college rinks turn them off at end of March or after first weekend of April. They cant afford to keep running the compressor to keep ice freeze when there's no one renting the ice time during the week. House teams' practice ends at beginning of March. Travel teams ends about the same time. If they're still in playoffs, they pay extra time for ice in March for practices. Sometimes they have hockey camp going on during the week when school is closed for recess in late March. Basically these smaller rink area become ghost or a lot less busy during the week. They're the first one to turn off the compressors. I recall that there was some kind of event at Canandiagua rink, during the first weekend after they shut machine down. They need $$$$ LOL
 #1369209  by tree68

It's not a NY show, but a lot of NY folks attend - Springfield had attendance of about 19,000 this year, much improved over the winter storm warning affected attendance last year.

CSX could have sold tickets at the yard to watch RJ Corman rerail the LPG tankers. I'm sure they would have had lots of takers, even at oh-dark-thirty...
 #1369564  by lvrr325

smph50 wrote:Hi Guys,

On the first page the 25th Annual Winter WNYRHS show also has incorrect dates.

February 20th and 21st, 2016 is the correct weekend.

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/trainshow.htm

Sincerely, Scott H.

Yes, for some reason this and Eastwood are a week later than usual this year.

I've been planning to post a 2016 update for a while now, just haven't gotten to it.
 #1370051  by lvrr325

Okay, here is an updated list for the remainder of this season -

February:

2/7 – Buffalo (Depew) – TTCS Buffalo Snowball Train Show, Polish Falcons
2/20-2/21 – Buffalo (Hamburg) – WNYRHS Winter Train & Toy Show, Erie County Fairgrounds *
2/27 – Rochester – TCA Toy Train Show, Edgerton Community Center
2/28 – Syracuse (Eastwood) – Syracuse Model Railroad Club Show *

March:

3/5 – Elmira (Horseheads) – TCA Toy Train Show, Elks Lodge 2297
3/5 - Albany - Northland Toy Show (includes trains) - Polish Community Center
3/6 – Scranton PA – Scranton Train Show, Radisson Hotel *
3/6 – Buffalo (West Seneca) – Charlie’s Toys & Trains Show, Ismailia Shrine Center
3/12 – Binghamton – Binghamton Regional Train Show, American Legion *
3/12 – Buffalo (West Seneca) – TCA Toy Train Show, Ismailia Shrine Center (yes, two shows same place a week apart)
3/19 – Albany – Albany Train Show, Polish Community Center (yes, same place as Northland) *
3/20 – Rochester – TTCS Rochester Shamrock Train Show, Eagle Club
3/20 – Kingston – Kingston Model Train & Railroad Hobby Show, Murphy Midtown Center

April -

4/2-4/3 – Rochester – Greenberg’s Train Show, Bill Gray’s Iceplex *
4/3 – Buffalo (N. Tonowanda) - TTCS Spring Into Summer Train Show, Knights Of Columbus
4/10 – Batavia – GSME Spring Train Show, Clarion Hotel *
4/10 – Amsterdam – Alco T&HS Train Show, Riverfront Center
4/23-4/24 – Lockport – TTCS/NOME Train Show, Keenan Center

If there's anything missing, let me know. If anybody has a show 4/17 or 4/18 let me know. The asterisk just means I'll be at that show, Lockport I haven't decided on yet.
 #1371842  by lvrr325

One last bump to remind folks the WNYRHS Winter Train & Toy Show is this weekend.

Weather is supposed to be decent, much better than last weekend when it was -20 or so on Sunday morning here.
 #1372126  by lvrr325

Anybody catch the final attendance? I missed it while I was packing up.

Saturday was about normal number of sales but no one was spending a lot, the dollar total was below average. Sunday more than made up for it, I guess something must have happened Saturday night that made people more willing to spend money? I've never had a show as backwards lopsided as this was and I was very pleased. More sales and more money both. Most I've ever sold in the six years or so I've gone out there.
 #1372748  by lvrr325

Syracuse Model Railroad Club show is this Sunday in Eastwood, in the usual place.

Weather's supposed to be nice, maybe too nice, 50' and sunny per the last forecast I looked at.
 #1373062  by lvrr325

Eastwood had a record high attendance (405 I believe they said) and for the second week in a row I set a record high sales total for an event, for at least as far back as I've kept track. I'm extremely happy, and so are they. And that even on a very nice, warm weather day.

But Eastwood is like that, sometimes it's way up, sometimes it's down.

My next event is Scranton; one of the dealers there is doing a show in Vermont either that weekend or the next.
 #1373124  by Rockingham Racer

There's a Florida Rail Fair--Model Train and Railroad Artifacts Show and Sale in Deland, FL on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00 - 9:00 AM. Seems kinda short, doesn't it? Sponsored by Golden Spike Enterprises.
 #1373129  by smph50

25th Annual WNYRHS Winter Train Show
lvrr325 wrote:Anybody catch the final attendance? I missed it while I was packing up. Saturday was about normal number of sales but no one was spending a lot, the dollar total was below average. Sunday more than made up for it, I guess something must have happened Saturday night that made people more willing to spend money? I've never had a show as backwards lopsided as this was and I was very pleased. More sales and more money both. Most I've ever sold in the six years or so I've gone out there. You caught me in the pictures. I think that's a first, of all the spots I've been, I could pick myself out in the show photos.
http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/showwinter2016.htm

I'm not sure what picture you were in, I try to get a mix of everything, but we're glad you had a good show!

Just under 5000 people came through the doors. We had fewer layouts, more dealers and very few complaints. The Amtrak-A&A-Medina Scavenger Hunt was very well received with over 500 entry's.

Thanks again to all of you who helped make this a successful show!

Sincerely, Scott H.
 #1373153  by Otto Vondrak

Rockingham Racer wrote:There's a Florida Rail Fair--Model Train and Railroad Artifacts Show and Sale in Deland, FL on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00 - 9:00 AM. Seems kinda short, doesn't it? Sponsored by Golden Spike Enterprises.
You'll probably want to post this in the appropriate forum, this thread is discussing show dates in New York State.

-otto-
 #1373162  by sd80mac

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:There's a Florida Rail Fair--Model Train and Railroad Artifacts Show and Sale in Deland, FL on Saturday, April 9 from 7:00 - 9:00 AM. Seems kinda short, doesn't it? Sponsored by Golden Spike Enterprises.
You'll probably want to post this in the appropriate forum, this thread is discussing show dates in New York State.

-otto-
I think that he's referring to the hours...