Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#640289  by DutchRailnut

Cause no other railroads operate to New London, SLE can not run trains there, due to boating restrictions.
SLE passengers are carried on certain Amtrak trains
 #640660  by Amtrak7

DutchRailnut wrote:Cause no other railroads operate to New London, SLE can not run trains there, due to boating restrictions.
SLE passengers are carried on certain Amtrak trains
SLE runs one roundtrip to/from New London every weekday. My question is why one of those 'certain Amtrak trains' is an Acela.
 #640663  by DutchRailnut

I believe the SLE round trip is not SLE equipment, but an agreement with Amtrak to carry the SLE passengers.
 #640909  by lumpum

Train 1646 is indeed a "Shore Line East" train to New London. It uses standard CDOT equipment and departs New Haven at 638pm. It gets to New London appx. 745pm and Leaves New London at 755pm. Back into New Haven around 9pm.
 #641074  by shadyjay

lumpum wrote:Train 1646 is indeed a "Shore Line East" train to New London. It uses standard CDOT equipment and departs New Haven at 638pm. It gets to New London appx. 745pm and Leaves New London at 755pm. Back into New Haven around 9pm.
I can confirm that... I've been on that train from NHV to OSB and after I got off, it indeed continued eastward.

BTW, can we merge these two New London threads?????
 #641082  by DutchRailnut

Differet topic no need to merge.
b.t.w when you got off in Old Saybrook, did you count how few passengers remained on the train, lets just say to pathetic to spend money on.
 #641150  by shadyjay

DutchRailnut wrote: b.t.w when you got off in Old Saybrook, did you count how few passengers remained on the train
Did not get a count, but I would say not more than 2 hands worth. Perhaps if this one SLE equipment thru train could be moved to an earlier timeslot, then ridership would improve. But then again, if there's not a convenient morning train... then the evening train is sure to fail.
 #643328  by BiggAW

I'm not sure who is commuting that way... people would be commuting TO New London, but there aren't even many of those, and the traffic isn't bad enough on 95 to justify CR out there. They should just make the people drive and get on in Saybrook, its a nice station with a lot of parking. That money would be better used to do something else.