Railroad Forums 

• Why is Wawa expansion so slow and costly??

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#721281  by cpontani

Septa has a minimum acceptable standard of 75 boardings or alightings per day on the RRD. Hover around that number, and the station may wind up the next Lamokin. :P
 #721291  by Suburban Station

cpontani wrote:Septa has a minimum acceptable standard of 75 boardings or alightings per day on the RRD. Hover around that number, and the station may wind up the next Lamokin. :P
can't have boardings without trains. I sometimes use north broad St station but only the R5 stops there once an hour, if it were the R1, I'd use it more often. More to the point, that's the best point of transfer for me to get to the Chestnut Hill East Line, unfortunately, the Chestnut Hill East line does not stop there. therefore, that station loses my boards (and deboards). I've been considering moving to west parkside but the lack of decent train access is a major deterrent. the R5 offers a useful way to commute without using 76. It's also better connected to the ten trolley than overbrook station.
that said, my order of priority for new stations (on existing track) would be
1)Girard
2) 52nd st
3) Spring garden
4) tioga
new extensions?
1)Phoenixville
2) West Chester
3) Allentown
 #721353  by MikeBPRR

Either Glen Riddle or Lenni might make a good intermediate stop between Wawa and Elwyn. I know Lenni is only 3000-something feet from Wawa, but it's actually tough to access the Wawa site from Lenni or Glen Riddle without battling Baltimore Pike, and there's new development in those areas. I also have a feeling that Elwyn will still be a tough place to park once Wawa opens, even with the plans to add 90-odd parking spaces.

I read in that report that I posted a few pages back that Glen Riddle station was designated some sort of historical site. Traveling from Elwyn, there's a switch just east of the Glen Riddle station, and the siding appears to be heading towards the south and west. It appears to end into an overgrown building just south of the platform/parking area. Anyone know what it is, and if it could qualify the station site as "historic"?
 #721356  by cpontani

Mike...you stated it. 3000 feet. What, you want another R2 that stops every so many blocks through Delco?

I think you have to let the dust settle with the Wawa re-opening. You have to think that some Elwyn passengers will go there and hence create availability at Elwyn.
 #724658  by Rail Boy

I want a stop at Darlington!!!!!!!!! I'll ride every day between Darlington and Locksly.

Just as I was Amtrak's only commuter between Cornwells Heights and Downingtown (true story there).
 #728450  by CComMack

A reopened Glen Riddle station would provide a connection to the Red Arrow 114 bus, which in turn connects to a string of job centers including Granite Run Mall. Either Glen Riddle or Lenni would be a 30-40 minute walk from Neumann University; not the world's most convenient option, but probably enough to tip a marginal local station into clearly worthwhile ridership counts. Skipping both intermediate stations entirely would be shortsighted.
 #728454  by cpontani

You're talking about building an ADA-compliant station to connect with a bus route that runs hourly. You can probably count the number of people that would use that connection on one hand. No, that's not a reason to build an intermediate stop.
 #728481  by Matthew Mitchell

CComMack wrote:A reopened Glen Riddle station would provide a connection to the Red Arrow 114 bus, which in turn connects to a string of job centers including Granite Run Mall.
The more likely approach would be for the Delco TMA to set up shuttle routes connecting those employers to the train.
 #734236  by MikeBPRR

I was driving down Lenni Road when I saw a bunch of construction vehicles parked on the driveway to the Lenni training facility. All the brush and vegetation on the land south of the tracks between Lenni Road and Lungren Road seemed to have been cleared away. It was a wide swath, mind you, at least twenty feet wide and encompassing from where the Chester Creek branch used to run to the wide of the current ROW. I saw (random) some cyllindrical concrete drainage pipes. I guess it's safe to say work has started on ROW improvement? Anyone know anything about this?
 #735031  by 78RangerXLT

The work near Lenni is part of the SEPTA 'R3 Trackbed Repair' Stimulus project. Extends from roughtly the PA 452 (Pennell Rd.) overpass at Glen Riddle, to the Lenni facility. Some major retaining walls and other site improvements will be installed.
 #736878  by MikeBPRR

78RangerXLT wrote:The work near Lenni is part of the SEPTA 'R3 Trackbed Repair' Stimulus project. Extends from roughtly the PA 452 (Pennell Rd.) overpass at Glen Riddle, to the Lenni facility. Some major retaining walls and other site improvements will be installed.
I've seen a lot of work at the Lenni end, but not so much at the Glen Riddle end. Do you know whether the retaining wall will be built in such a way that it makes the right of way wide enough for future double tracking?
 #737262  by 78RangerXLT

No, it will still be single track East of Lenni, but a future second track is to be added from the future Lenni Yard to the new Wawa station location.

The retaining walls are necessary due to deteriorating slope conditions, there was even a major 'wash-out' between Glen Riddle and Lungren Rd. a few years ago.
 #744953  by mayorgreg

I drove through the Lenni crossing today; wasn't able to stop to take a photo, but there is plenty of work going on. The retaining wall work is well underway. The old Chester Creek Branch rails that had been mostly hidden by trees/brush/etc near the crossing were taken up and piled up a few weeks ago; now they appear to be totally gone. The existing R3 rails on either side of the crossing have been removed (as far as my eye could see while driving through the crossing, anyway). The rails through the crossing itself are still there for now. The rails now end shortly to the west of the crossing (looked like they had all been removed in the direction of the old training facility; as far as I could see) and then end again just east of the crossing where the retaining wall is going up. I got a glance down to the bridge over Lungren Road as well and it looks like they're removed at least that far, to the east.