Railroad Forums 

• Why is Wawa expansion so slow and costly??

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#719955  by right-of-way

I doubt any stations besides Wawa/US 1, Cheyney, West Chester University/US 202 and Downtown West Chester would be returned to service. The market is not there for closely spaced stations. It ain't light rail and its outer suburbia.

Functionally (Access): Wawa/US 1 = P&R, Cheyney = Neighborhood/University Shuttle, WCU/US 202 = P&R^2, and Downtown West Chester = Neighborhood/TOD Redevelopment Project.

Let us not forget Lenni, Locksley, Westtown and Glen Mills. Probably not coming back ever...Glen Mills perhaps...others...no way. File under Tioga, Nicetown, 52nd Street, Barmouth and George School.

Media yard would be vacated for Lenni which is only about 1/2 mile or so east of Wawa (minimal deadheading). West Chester would require some storage tracks to charge the line in the morning at the beginig of the service if the other ~9 miles of the branch is ever restored. I would put much more money on West Chester coming back in the next decade or so rather than Newtown which is really a nostalgia project with several rail other options within SUV striking distance.
 #720002  by R3toNEC

You have also forgotten Glen Riddle station. Probably would never come back either as it's very close to Elwyn. I think Westtown stands a better chance than Glen Mills. Westtown station is right on Route 926 and would provide pretty convenient access with plenty of land available around the station for a parking lot.
 #720078  by Suburban Station

right-of-way wrote:I doubt any stations besides Wawa/US 1, Cheyney, West Chester University/US 202 and Downtown West Chester would be returned to service. The market is not there for closely spaced stations. It ain't light rail and its outer suburbia.

Functionally (Access): Wawa/US 1 = P&R, Cheyney = Neighborhood/University Shuttle, WCU/US 202 = P&R^2, and Downtown West Chester = Neighborhood/TOD Redevelopment Project.

Let us not forget Lenni, Locksley, Westtown and Glen Mills. Probably not coming back ever...Glen Mills perhaps...others...no way. File under Tioga, Nicetown, 52nd Street, Barmouth and George School.

Media yard would be vacated for Lenni which is only about 1/2 mile or so east of Wawa (minimal deadheading). West Chester would require some storage tracks to charge the line in the morning at the beginig of the service if the other ~9 miles of the branch is ever restored. I would put much more money on West Chester coming back in the next decade or so rather than Newtown which is really a nostalgia project with several rail other options within SUV striking distance.
tioga and 52nd st should both be reinstated (tioga is 22nd and westmoreland no?)
 #720158  by redarrow5591

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Tioga station is not at 22nd and westmreland. Tioga station was located on septa's main line . The station you are refering to is westmoreland station on the norristown branch. Is it that station you are refering to suburban?
Actually Westmoreland was on the Hill West.
 #720442  by Suburban Station

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Tioga station is not at 22nd and westmreland. Tioga station was located on septa's main line . The station you are refering to is westmoreland station on the norristown branch. Is it that station you are refering to suburban?
yes (though as noted R8). actually, both of those would be nice to have back
 #720457  by Matthew Mitchell

Suburban Station wrote:actually, both of those would be nice to have back
Why? Is there a market to be served there that's worth restoring and maintaining the infrastructure, and the time and cost of stopping trains there? Those stations had ridership in single digits when they were closed.
 #720638  by limejuice

The active Allegheny station on the Norristown line is literally around the corner from the Westmoreland site. And the Tioga site is only about 2 or 3 blocks away. I really don't think there's sufficient demand in this neighborhood to justify 3 train stations, but what do I know?
 #720890  by MikeBPRR

right-of-way wrote:I doubt any stations besides Wawa/US 1, Cheyney, West Chester University/US 202 and Downtown West Chester would be returned to service. The market is not there for closely spaced stations. It ain't light rail and its outer suburbia.

Glen Mills would be nice to have back because there's a goodly amount of new development out that way, but it probably won't happen because there's no room for parking, and I'm certain the Thornbury Historical Society, who owns Glen Mills station, would hate to see the brick platform torn up when high levels have to be constructed. In short, any extension to West Chester would see passengers between US 1 and 926 cram themselves into the Cheyney and Westtown parking lots.
 #720918  by BuddSilverliner269

R3toNEC wrote:This is how these threads get off topic. Let's keep this to Wawa and the R3 West Chester line.
Actually who made you boss? This does fall in line for what's being discussed as every station out to west Chester doesn't need to be reopened if ridership doesn't justify it much like westmoreland or tioga any other stop that railfans think should be open. Nuff said.
 #721273  by Suburban Station

limejuice wrote:The active Allegheny station on the Norristown line is literally around the corner from the Westmoreland site. And the Tioga site is only about 2 or 3 blocks away. I really don't think there's sufficient demand in this neighborhood to justify 3 train stations, but what do I know?
Call it swampoodle transfer, but people could then transfer from CHW trains to R6 trains. that said, of the two additional stops, obviously adding a reading main would be more beneficial for the neighborhood in which the station sits than the CHW stump.
Matt Mitchell wrote: Why? Is there a market to be served there that's worth restoring and maintaining the infrastructure, and the time and cost of stopping trains there? Those stations had ridership in single digits when they were closed.
so once a station is closed it can never be reopened? how much does a station cost to maintain? Obviously it would have to be funded by the city since the suburbs control SEPTA. 52ndst is also important if that neighborhood is ever to make a comeback.

back to the R3, it's nice to see some expansion but it would be nice if they were adding a real destination (west Chester)