Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1068659  by ExCon90

Otto Vondrak wrote:Federal Railroad Authority must be a new governing body I have not yet heard of (rolls eyes)...
It's the best the reporter could come up with without actual fact-checking. Fact-checking is so tedious ... Hell, you still see "American Association of Railroads" occasionally from people who ought to know better.
 #1111633  by Amtrak7

I thought this project was only a dream/in EIS stages, but apparently its happpening. MTA is approving at this week's board meeting an $18 million 15 month contract to Alstom Signaling to furnish signal system components for the Port Jervis Line, Waterbury Branch, and CP109.

Source: Nov 2012 MNR committee materials p52
 #1111699  by Clean Cab

$18 million is peanuts compared to what it would cost to put cab signals/ATC on just the Waterbury Branch. The FRA PTC mandate is getting close (2015). I think railroads can ask for postponements. But all non signalled lines that carry passenger trains must have cab signal/ATC eventually.
 #1111701  by DutchRailnut

cab/atc is not PTC, even MNCR has to upgrade to ACSES to be compliant. The mandated 2015 deadline has already been pushed back.
 #1111736  by Amtrak7

Clean Cab wrote:$18 million is peanuts compared to what it would cost to put cab signals/ATC on just the Waterbury Branch.
This does not include the cost of the labor to actually install the equipment, something I would imagine is a huge number.
 #1116699  by Backshophoss

One can only hope MNR can apply the lessions learned from the Danbury Branch project to the Waterbury Branch,
How many active passing sidings need CP's on the Waterbury Branch??

Back when the Maybrook line was intact,Devon to Derby Jct was 2 main tracks,CTC controled.
 #1116855  by DutchRailnut

besides CP500 there would be a CP at both ends of interchange siding at MP1 and 2 and at passing siding in Waterbury.
Plus probably a CP for maybrook
 #1116885  by Jeff Smith

Let's hope it's part of a larger process with passing sidings as mentioned by Backshop. Right now, if only one train can occupy the entire branch at a time, signalization doesn't do much. Of course, CP's can be added as sidings are, right?
 #1149624  by famcrown

Contrary to what i have read on these boards,
the 5:57am train out of wtby goes straight to grandcentral.
beside wtby line, it stops in bridgeport, stamford next, then local to grand central. (technically a thru train)
you can switch at stamford expess to GCT or stay on the train (bout 20min longer) and go to GCT.

not sure why they run the deisel into GCT, i assume the M-8'S are more efficient. maybe not enough trains.

Also I saw people were asking about a Roof above the old platform,

here is a pic. All rights reserved by owner of pic. (not me)
http://www.bronsonlibrary.org/filestora ... ressed.pdf
 #1150794  by truck6018

famcrown wrote:Contrary to what i have read on these boards,
the 5:57am train out of wtby goes straight to grandcentral.
beside wtby line, it stops in bridgeport, stamford next, then local to grand central. (technically a thru train)
you can switch at stamford expess to GCT or stay on the train (bout 20min longer) and go to GCT.
The equipment runs to GCT, the train does not. By timetable it's train 1923 from Waterbury to Stamford. That train then turns to 1325 which is a zipper making local stops from Stamford to Greenwich, then goes direct to GCT (contrary to popular belief, not all trains stop at Harlem-125).
famcrown wrote:not sure why they run the deisel into GCT, i assume the M-8'S are more efficient. maybe not enough trains.
Numerous reasons. There are set equipment cycles for service purposes. This particular equipment I don't know the reason, but there are often trains that dead head from GCT to Highbridge for cleaning and fueling.
 #1150895  by Amtrak7

truck6018 wrote:The equipment runs to GCT, the train does not. By timetable it's train 1923 from Waterbury to Stamford. That train then turns to 1325 which is a zipper making local stops from Stamford to Greenwich, then goes direct to GCT (contrary to popular belief, not all trains stop at Harlem-125).
Is the train fumigated at Stamford? (in other words, do they kick everyone off?)
 #1151102  by famcrown

Many switch to the express, but no one has to get off, some stay on the train if they can spare 20min.

Kinda cool to stay in ur seat from waterbury to GCT.
 #1151134  by truck6018

Amtrak7 wrote:
truck6018 wrote:The equipment runs to GCT, the train does not. By timetable it's train 1923 from Waterbury to Stamford. That train then turns to 1325 which is a zipper making local stops from Stamford to Greenwich, then goes direct to GCT (contrary to popular belief, not all trains stop at Harlem-125).
Is the train fumigated at Stamford? (in other words, do they kick everyone off?)

No.

The once or twice that I have worked that train, some do change but many do not as they are already settled and don't want to worry about finding a seat on another train.
 #1152323  by excitebike

Almost no one changes at Stamford from the Waterbury train. There is only a 5 minute layover at Stamford and the train frequently arrives a bit late anyway. If it did arrive on time, you could switch to the 7:22 and arrive at GCT a full 11 minutes earlier. This is a terrible bet to make, as the 7:22 is from Danbury and is also frequently a few minutes late. The next train to leave is the 7:27, the train from New Canaan, typically on-time but lately has been badly overcrowded due to the late 7:22 arriving after it. You would save 6 minutes by taking this train.

Basically, from 7:16 to 7:32am, 5 trains depart Stamford for Grand Central, two of which originate in New Haven, one from Danbury, one from Waterbury, and one from New Canaan, all of which tend to be one to four minutes late. Things are quite hopping, and last minute track changes are frequent. It's a great time to leave from Stamford Station, as you never have to wait very long, even if schedules are off.