Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

so CDOT should spend 90 million $$ just incase of Recues ??
That's what buses are made for.
  by fl9m2004

True my mistake
Thanks for pointing it out
  by NH2060

At one time the branch had 2 tracks in spots. Re-installing those segments of double track could be a possibility at some point in the future if service levels warrant it, but other than the PTC mandate nothing else will come to fruition in the short term. And yes the busses are inadequate compared to the train (and are an ironic choice of substitute transport for when the far superior one has problems), but when things go wrong they're the only other option. A more realistic approach would be to arrange to have a rescue engine stationed in Bridgeport and even that would require funding for a standby crew, etc.
  by fl9m2004

True didn't know it was double tracked
Haven't been up there to see where it was since before 2012
But need to go up there again and go over the new bridges when was the rail replaced on whole branch
I remember hearing around 2010?
  by fl9m2004

I didn't know it was double tracked
Haven't had time to see how the new bridges are
When was last time track was replaced
They meaning track department did a good job
  by Noel Weaver

NH2060 wrote:At one time the branch had 2 tracks in spots. Re-installing those segments of double track could be a possibility at some point in the future if service levels warrant it, but other than the PTC mandate nothing else will come to fruition in the short term. And yes the busses are inadequate compared to the train (and are an ironic choice of substitute transport for when the far superior one has problems), but when things go wrong they're the only other option. A more realistic approach would be to arrange to have a rescue engine stationed in Bridgeport and even that would require funding for a standby crew, etc.
Up until January, 1950 the Naugy was two tracks all the way from Devon to Waterbury. Until the late 30's double track also existed between Waterbury and Hartford. Waterbury - Ansonia was Rule 318 which was manual block with the current of traffic and Ansonia to Devon was automatic block again with the current of traffic. Waterbury - Hartford was also double track, automatic block with the current of traffic. There were two interlocking towers in Waterbury as well, SS-202 at Bank Street Junction which lasted until the 1955 floods when it was so badly damaged that the railroad chose not to make repairs and SS-204 at Highland Junction which lasted until the late 30's and controlled the east end of the yard and main line crossovers between the two main tracks east to Hartford, the Winsted Main and the Watertown Branch. Both of them were at least most of the time 24/7 operations as well. Waterbury was a very busy terminal at least well through the 50's.
There is plenty of room today on the Waterbury Branch to put in a controlled siding if in the future there is need for one or more of them and I think eventually it might happen. Right now as Dutch said, the state is broke.
Noel Weaver
  by 7express

Double tracking AND electrifying Danbury should be about 500 million times more important then double tracking Waterbury.
  by DutchRailnut

not enough service on Danbury to even justify sidings, other than 4 rush hour trains the passenger loads are minimal.
  by runningwithscalpels

7express wrote:Double tracking AND electrifying Danbury should be about 500 million times more important then double tracking Waterbury.
I want my passing sidings on Waterbury first ;)

Does Waterbury need double tracking? No.
Does it need better service? Yes.
Am I in foamer lala land wanting it? Probably.

The day I don't have to drive an hour to Southeast/Brewster or Fairfield to catch a train 65% of the time when I need one will be a happy day indeed.
  by Backshophoss

Sooner or later,the Waterbury Branch will "rise" from the dark ages,get signals,ACES and CTC like the Danbury Branch.
The PTC mandate is forcing the up grade.
  by NH2060

Bear in mind that the branch runs through one of the more densely populated parts of CT outside of the Stamford-Norwalk-Bridgeport-New Haven, Waterbury-Bristol-New Britain-Hartford, and New Haven-Meriden-Hartford corridors and is one part of the state that is seeing consistent population growth due to the affordability of housing in that area; correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Plus as I've heard from a number of posters and friends (as well as a former high school teacher) who live in the area Route 8 at rush hour is a must to avoid so there's obviously big enough a market for more service. It sounds more like an equipment availability problem than lack of need for more frequencies. An extension(s) to either Torrington or Bristol/Plainville/New Britain (or however far they can get before running into the pesky busway) sounds more like a pipe dream than getting the line properly equipped to handle more traffic.. and yet that's exactly what will happen thanks to the PTC mandate, as Backshophoss stated, so who knows what the branch will be in 10-15-20 years.

On another note, when the Waterbury-Stamford through train was added to the timetable (innnn...was it 2007?) IIRC there were plans to add a PM peak return trip if ridership levels on the new AM peak train warranted it. If this was true anyone know why that never came to fruition?
  by runningwithscalpels

Above Waterbury, 8 is not that bad at all, but I know that around Derby and such it can get quite hairy. In general, Waterbury proper's problem is 84 more than anything else. For me it's the choke point at 23 east in the morning and 25A west at night!

On that note, I have a friend who recently transferred from working at the Waterbury courthouse to the one in Bridgeport. She says she'd gladly take the train rather than sit in traffic - if the schedule worked out better.
  by Backshophoss

I-84 is a "rotted,twisted snake" that splits the city in two, like a bad roller coaster, under constant construction to boot.
Very prone to get congested am rush-noon-pm rush. :(
  by TomNelligan

As a former resident of the Naugatuck Valley and still a frequent visitor I know the area well. I-84 is a chronic mess thanks to the two-lane bottleneck east of Waterbury, but its problem is mostly due to east-west traffic including lots of trucks and Boston-New York travelers who are avoiding the bigger mess that is I-95. More rail service to Bridgeport won't help that much since those people aren't headed to Fairfield County. The Route 8 rush hour mess in Derby/Shelton is indeed due to the migration of suburbanites to relatively low cost towns in the Valley combined with job growth in Trumbull and points south and west. The problem there is that people who work in suburban office parks can't take the train since it doesn't get them to where they work.

I'm not aware that Metro North has ever made an attempt to publicize or promote the existing Waterbury service. It seems to make the news only when they're announcing bustitution due to trackwork or nasty weather. Maybe some promotion combined with a big park-and-ride lot at Derby (there's empty land there, and it's right off Route 8 and 34) would help attract enough business to support increased service.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Backshophoss wrote:Sooner or later,the Waterbury Branch will "rise" from the dark ages,get signals,ACES and CTC like the Danbury Branch.
The PTC mandate is forcing the up grade.
Don't forget all the non-ADA intermediate stations. Light use or not, that can't last forever and they have to make an honest effort at flipping those over to compliance. It'll happen...one thing at a time. Signal system design's already funded for the first $60M, and they're doing long overdue bridge rehab.
NH2060 wrote:Bear in mind that the branch runs through one of the more densely populated parts of CT outside of the Stamford-Norwalk-Bridgeport-New Haven, Waterbury-Bristol-New Britain-Hartford, and New Haven-Meriden-Hartford corridors and is one part of the state that is seeing consistent population growth due to the affordability of housing in that area; correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Plus as I've heard from a number of posters and friends (as well as a former high school teacher) who live in the area Route 8 at rush hour is a must to avoid so there's obviously big enough a market for more service. It sounds more like an equipment availability problem than lack of need for more frequencies. An extension(s) to either Torrington or Bristol/Plainville/New Britain (or however far they can get before running into the pesky busway) sounds more like a pipe dream than getting the line properly equipped to handle more traffic.. and yet that's exactly what will happen thanks to the PTC mandate, as Backshophoss stated, so who knows what the branch will be in 10-15-20 years.

On another note, when the Waterbury-Stamford through train was added to the timetable (innnn...was it 2007?) IIRC there were plans to add a PM peak return trip if ridership levels on the new AM peak train warranted it. If this was true anyone know why that never came to fruition?
Yes. As a Bristol native/ex-pat I can concur. The housing market in that area weathered the crash pretty well because of 1) consistent affordability, 2) growth in local office space, and 3) the fact that things bottomed out so badly and completely in the 90's that there was nowhere to go but up and that upward trend off-the-mat had momentum to blunt the effects of the recession. I'm more familiar with Bristol/Plainville/Southington/Plymouth than others, but the mind-bogglingly explosive growth of ESPN is very "housing-hungry" and has kept the growth of new subdivisions in those towns more or less constant over the last dozen years, with the big-box sprawl making 84 that much worse. Even sleepy Plymouth has had large tracts of former farmland rezoned into housing developments. Yes, downtown Bristol, New Britain, and Waterbury are still major and very conspicuous dead spots...but that's because they fell so much harder 20 years ago and have a decades longer fight to get any sort of recovery going. It's not indicative of how the outskirts are growing.

And 84, 6, 44, etc. just can't handle it. 8 is choked south of Waterbury, and while it's one of the most underutilized highways north of Waterbury, the living hell that is the east-west commute more or less shuts out Torrington from the Hartford job market. I would agree there's never going to be enough demand for commuter rail to Torrington, but Hartford-Waterbury is a hot prospect that I'm convinced would blow its ridership projections out of the water. ESPN would most definitely run a shuttle bus to Forestville or Plainville stations coordinated to every train. Torrington commuters would most definitely pack Waterbury to get eastbound. Downtown Bristol might actually have a leg to stand on if it had a stop. Increased N-S service in general with Waterbury eventually becoming a N-S/E-W node might give that downtown something to build on. And it would expand the housing market overall at distances a little further away from the nearest highway exit (which punishes western parts of Bristol, Wolcott, Plymouth, Burlington, Thomaston).

What I'm wondering is if MNRR has so little interest in the branch and it doesn't run direct to GCT whether it's better to eventually shear that off the system and transfer it to CDOT grouped with the Central CT commuter rail network. Maybe not run-thru Hartford-Devon or anything like that, but own crews, own equipment, own management. Less radical than divorcing CDOT from MNRR entirely, but shedding an outlier that doesn't really fit the MNRR system mold.