Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1339838  by superwarp1

Had the pleasure of staying at Attitash Mountain Resort for vacation this past week and my son and I had the opportunity to see just about every train that passes the resort at least once over our stay. Saw the Notch train Tuesday and Thursday and while I didn't notice which engine was pulling Tuesdays train, Thursdays was 216 and boy was she burning dirty. Lots of smoke which I did not notice coming from Tuesdays train. Also the Thursday Dinner train had engine 4266(I think that's the number) at the point with 573 in the back for the return trip which was nice to see.

We did ride one of the Conway trips last Saturday and on our way home Friday noticed all the Thomas activity getting started which looked very busy patron wise.

A few questions:

1. wondering why there isn't a roster of equipment on the website? There's so many diesel engines now I can't keep them straight.
2. While at Attitash I was wondering why doesn't the Conway stop and pick up guests? Would of love to have taken one of the first return trips into town, shop and taken one of the last trains back to Attitash. Would of saved me the headache of driving and parking in North Conway. there's a platform right there next to check in and it wasn't like any of the trains were full. Think I'm going to write to the RR and ask this very question.
 #1339894  by Reader#108

There really isn't a way to charge for tickets at Attitash, although with the partnership that the railroad has with Attitash via the food program, one would think that there would be a way to load up in the future.

One concern I would think is that.....what if the patron misses the last train back to Bartlett?
There would probably be some belly aches due to a missed train and $40 cab ride.
 #1339937  by superwarp1

Well, tickets could be sold at the check in desk, or with cash from a conductor the way Amtrak does it. If someone misses the train ohwell. Same with the layover on the Notch or what have you. I've written to Conway Scenic, we'll see if I get a response.

I think it could be a plus going the otherway. Picking people up in North Conway(where a lot of hotels are) and dropping them off at Attitash for the rides. They do have a RDC car, why not use it for something like this. Try it, doesn't get the ridership it can be dropped. People want to cars off the roads the Conway Scenic is a great asset which untapped potential.
 #1339941  by RRFAN

Some photos of yesterday Valley Train and I also got to record 4266 Leslie air horn!
Attachments:
DSCF06452.jpg
DSCF06452.jpg (306.33 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
DSCF06442.jpg
DSCF06442.jpg (288.58 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
DSCF06432.jpg
DSCF06432.jpg (298.71 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
 #1340038  by RRFAN

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Have they been attaching engines to both sides of their trains? Do they no longer do the engine change at Conway and Bartlett?
No they only put engines on both side when they are having certain events. They also don't go to Conway during the Day out with Thomas event because Thomas or Percy go every half an hour so there is no time for the Valley Train.
 #1340237  by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:Operations Manager Hallett has posted the July Wheel Report.
Numerous interesting items, as always.

http://conwayscenic.com/july-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very impressed to read about such great ridership figures on the Valley Train. Fantastic news there. The thought of CSRX selling out the summer is magnificent.
 #1340704  by Reader#108

The only train that is void is the Notch Train.

The Valley Train goes to Glen instead of Conway and also still goes to Bartlett.

Lunch and Dinner are still served accordingly
 #1341270  by drvmusic

gokeefe wrote:
theseaandalifesaver wrote:It's great to see that 4266 is still used regularly.
And it becomes more valuable as each year goes by.
My favorite of any piece of railroad equipment, and I've never seen it run. Every year I manage to get up there, but it's never running when I'm there. Nobody's fault, I know 573 is the main power for the Valley Train, but one day I want to see her run in person, not on YouTube! Unfortunately RF weekend isn't an option for me.