• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by p42thedowneaster

RRFAN wrote:Looks like NHN 1757 Is the locomotive for the walk through when day out with Thomas comes.
It's awesome to see 1757 pulled out of the yard. I can't quite tell from the photo, but does it appear they cleaned it up a bit? I seem to remember the engine was quite faded. Perhaps a buff and wax would revive the scheme.

BTW, 1757 arrived via PAR (Dover NH?) to SLR (in Maine) to NHCR to CSRX. ...not exactly a short cut!
  by eustis22

Seems like it would cost less just to reactivate the track north of Ossipee Aggregates than the fuel it took to get it there.
  by gokeefe

eustis22 wrote:Seems like it would cost less just to reactivate the track north of Ossipee Aggregates than the fuel it took to get it there.
I doubt the fuel for that move cost in excess of $7 - $10 million dollars. But....it is certainly a circuitous routing.

If the rails hadn't been taken out I would imagine that we might see the occasional move through that area much as we do today from the northern end.
  by chesapeake12

the rail is only missing from south of Rt-171 to just north of Rt-28 bridge in by ossipee depot. a small section at Madison depot. rt133?. out side of a few beaver dam, this line could run with chain saws and trim back.. look at the St. of NH transportation report on this rail line.
  by Mikejf

1/2 mile section in Conway missing by Coleman Concrete. And if you only use a chain saw, you won't get far. Ties are junk.
  by chesapeake12

I did not know of bridge fire a few year a go. Only steel on this line??
When I walked this line the ties were placed 1920-30-40-50 and a few in 60.
?This was in 80-90. Most ties are goox ckr 50 yrs. Coleman pit most rail their just dirt over the.rail. the Madison station/post office right away is not owned by state.
  by gokeefe

chesapeake12 wrote:I did not know of bridge fire a few year a go. Only steel on this line??
When I walked this line the ties were placed 1920-30-40-50 and a few in 60.
?This was in 80-90. Most ties are goox ckr 50 yrs. Coleman pit most rail their just dirt over the.rail. the Madison station/post office right away is not owned by state.
There was a fire on a low lying trestle that is in the woods between Ossipee and Conway. Not exactly sure where but the damage was significant. There are links to photos in the Conway Branch thread.
  by RRFAN

Memorial Day Train in Bartlett, NH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by p42thedowneaster

Nice Pics! I was surprised to see #1751 hauling the train on Sunday. We rode behind 216 on Saturday (whose horn sounded great BTW).
  by CSRR573

is the 1751 now facing the same way as 573? could have sworn it was faced the opposite as 573. is it easier operationally to have the GPs face long hood toward Conway?
  by p42thedowneaster

CSRR573 wrote:is the 1751 now facing the same way as 573? could have sworn it was faced the opposite as 573. is it easier operationally to have the GPs face long hood toward Conway?
In having the locomotive face "west" the engineer can better see the North Conway Station platform in either direction. I think this is a safety measure given the abundance of guests on the platform as the trains come and go. Its not such a big deal in Conway or Bartlett since the guests arrive via train anyways.
  by b&m 1566

What about the notch train, excluding 216 they seem to face east most or all the time (2820,252).