• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Video as promised - it's a three-way race between (2) Metra and the Cardinal, plus the light power that was about everywhere on the north end of 14th that evening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUoKcJUK0Q
  by Train2009

P42DC #130 was deadheading on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited Train #49 from NYP yesterday afternoon.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Today #4 (5) passed with two "PV"'s on the rear.

While I did not get the best of views, first car was an Open-platform heavyweight (platform forward) liveried Pullman Green and the second was an ex-Westours ATSF Big Dome.
  by HBLR

Probably not very unique, but while waiting for a co-worker today at new brunswick on the platform i saw what i'm guessing was a regional with a backwards facing keystone cab car hooked right to the locomotive. It was traveling pretty much full speed and i wasn't really looking out for trains so i'm not sure if it had the snack car or not. The last time i saw such a train it actually had 2 of the cab cars, one by the locomotive, and one on the opposite end, but that was last summer.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mike77E9 wrote:Saw New York Central 3 on the rear of Amtrak Cardinal #51(3) through New Brunswick at 7:22 is am
#51(8) vice 51(3)?
  by Mike77E9

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Mike77E9 wrote:Saw New York Central 3 on the rear of Amtrak Cardinal #51(3) through New Brunswick at 7:22 is am
#51(8) vice 51(3)?
Yes, #51(8), my bad. Month is flying by!
  by CSX Conductor

HBLR wrote:Probably not very unique, but while waiting for a co-worker today at new brunswick on the platform i saw what i'm guessing was a regional with a backwards facing keystone cab car hooked right to the locomotive. It was traveling pretty much full speed and i wasn't really looking out for trains so i'm not sure if it had the snack car or not. The last time i saw such a train it actually had 2 of the cab cars, one by the locomotive, and one on the opposite end, but that was last summer.
You are probably referring to The Vermonter (#56). When cab-cars are due for their 90 day inspections they are dead-headed to WAS on 55 and when a cab-car is needed in New Haven they are dead-headed on 56. The reason for using 55 & 56 for the dead-head moves is because the electric is swapped for diesel at NHV and there is no extra move involved in taking the cab car off or putting it on.
  by daylight4449

CSX Conductor wrote:
HBLR wrote:Probably not very unique, but while waiting for a co-worker today at new brunswick on the platform i saw what i'm guessing was a regional with a backwards facing keystone cab car hooked right to the locomotive. It was traveling pretty much full speed and i wasn't really looking out for trains so i'm not sure if it had the snack car or not. The last time i saw such a train it actually had 2 of the cab cars, one by the locomotive, and one on the opposite end, but that was last summer.
You are probably referring to The Vermonter (#56). When cab-cars are due for their 90 day inspections they are dead-headed to WAS on 55 and when a cab-car is needed in New Haven they are dead-headed on 56. The reason for using 55 & 56 for the dead-head moves is because the electric is swapped for diesel at NHV and there is no extra move involved in taking the cab car off or putting it on.
I've always seen the Vermonter with two diesels on the train, one on each end. When did the cab cars come on?
  by nomis

daylight4449 wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:
I've always seen the Vermonter with two diesels on the train, one on each end. When did the cab cars come on?
NHV is the working yard for the Springfield shuttles, what else would be easier to dh a cab car?
  by CSX Conductor

daylight4449 wrote:I've always seen the Vermonter with two diesels on the train, one on each end. When did the cab cars come on?
The cab cars aren't being used on The Vermonter. They are dead-head up from WAS to NHV behind the electric motor so they can be moved to Motor Storage with the electric at NHV. When a cab car needs to be dead-headed to WAS for service or inspection it is behind the electric and added to the train @ NHV.
nomis wrote:NHV is the working yard for the Springfield shuttles, what else would be easier to dh a cab car?
A cab-car could be dead-headed on any train that is destined for SPG from WAS or coming from SPG and heading to WAS since the cab-car would be moved with the electric motor. I personally had a d/h cab-car on train 148 a few years ago, so I know it has been done before, but the Vermonter seems to be "the norm".
  by Greg Moore

Not strictly unusual, but pulling into ALB today noticed the front of engine 712 with a good size dent in it. It looked about the size and rough shape of a deer.

Anyone know the story?
  by DutchRailnut

Believe me deer do not dent Genesis engines, I have had a fw explode on fron of P32acdm's with damage.
  by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:Believe me deer do not dent Genesis engines, I have had a fw explode on fron of P32acdm's with damage.
Well if it wasn't a deer, it was something fairly impressive and high up.
  by The EGE

Moose? Taller and heavier than a deer.