Railroad Forums 

• Unauthorized people on LIRR Tracks

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1466755  by adamj023

Seems like another unauthorized person on the tracks by around Baldwin who was struck by a train. Most of these incidents are likely suicide attempts. Screws over the train for the people using the system. Wish there was a better way to prevemt these incidents from happening.
 #1466774  by MattAmity90

I know a way, but it seems a little Jetson-esque or something that is out of science fiction.

If only we could put invisible force fields at the edges of the platforms, and then the force field deactivates when the doors open and the red lights illuminate. Once the doors close and the lights go green, then the force field reactivates. For construction workers, they will wear vests that can penetrate the fields. If an ordinary person hits the force fields they will just look like they hit a wall created by a mime.
 #1466775  by AlKaLI

My condolences to the Family and the Train crews. From news reports, the person struck by the train (2733 5:08 from Speonk)? was killed. Although it remains to be seen, unfortunately have to agree that it was probably a suicide.

I have to count myself lucky. I was on my usual Train 1003 which runs on the wrong main (west on eastbound main #2) from Mass. Park to CP Rocky.
This allows 2733 to pass it heading west. This morning, 2733, passed us at Freeport at speed with the usual 2 DM30s and probably 8 C-3s.
We continued west to Baldwin. Leaving Baldwin we crept west and then passed the stopped 2733. We didn't cross over to the westbound main at Rocky waiting to the interlocking at Valley Stream to get back to the westbound main. Only heard later at Penn Station what happened.

Sad!
 #1466785  by andrewjw

MattAmity90 wrote:I know a way, but it seems a little Jetson-esque or something that is out of science fiction.

If only we could put invisible force fields at the edges of the platforms, and then the force field deactivates when the doors open and the red lights illuminate. Once the doors close and the lights go green, then the force field reactivates. For construction workers, they will wear vests that can penetrate the fields. If an ordinary person hits the force fields they will just look like they hit a wall created by a mime.
we have those, they're just not invisible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors
 #1466789  by ExCon90

The problem is, as the article states, that they cost several million $US per station, and the door spacing must be identical on all rolling stock. Easy to do on a "greenfield" project; not so easy on the second-oldest railroad in the U. S.
 #1466790  by litz

the problem is, you can take the word "LIRR" and introduce practically any railroad name in the country from Class 1 all the way down to the tiniest short line.

this is a problem industry wide, whether freight or passenger. Heck, the NYC Subway hits people trespassing on the tracks.
 #1466793  by ExCon90

True--the platform isn't the only way onto the tracks. (Put cattle guards at grade crossings?) Some railroads have posted signs giving an 800 number for help and counseling, but I'm afraid that anyone who has already made the ultimate decision is not of a mind to be dissuaded. Platform screen doors should help prevent accidental falls, or an unprovoked push by a deranged person, but suicide may be a problem for which there is no solution.
 #1466812  by ConstanceR46

ExCon90 wrote:True--the platform isn't the only way onto the tracks. (Put cattle guards at grade crossings?) Some railroads have posted signs giving an 800 number for help and counseling, but I'm afraid that anyone who has already made the ultimate decision is not of a mind to be dissuaded. Platform screen doors should help prevent accidental falls, or an unprovoked push by a deranged person, but suicide may be a problem for which there is no solution.
No, not really- i'm sure making it difficult to kill yourself will dissuade some suicidal people, because depression often makes you pretty darn lazy.
 #1466820  by MattAmity90

andrewjw wrote:
MattAmity90 wrote:I know a way, but it seems a little Jetson-esque or something that is out of science fiction.

we have those, they're just not invisible: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_screen_doors
I've seen those, and yes they are difficult to build especially with the door alignments. Hopefully in the future someone can invent invisible force fields, until now you can't prevent every depressed person from killing themselves which is a shame. What goes through their minds, they don't think about life or anyone else, they just want to out of it.
 #1466833  by Head-end View

They should probably post signs with a suicide prevention hot-line number anyway. It wouldn't be real expensive to do and if it dissuades anyone, it would probably be worth the investment.
 #1466837  by DutchRailnut

a suicidal person is just as likely to read a suicide prevention poster as a alcoholic is to reading AA posters.
or a Smoker reading side of that cigaret package.
 #1466875  by andrewjw

DutchRailnut wrote:a suicidal person is just as likely to read a suicide prevention poster as a alcoholic is to reading AA posters.
or a Smoker reading side of that cigaret package.
Where do you come off knowing so much about this?
 #1466896  by MADDOG

Andrewjw-
Unfortunately, Dutche's answer, while it may sound snippy, is very true.
When someone is hurting so badly, they aren't in their right minds and don't really know or care what they're doing.
As someone who just lost his best friend of over 40 years who was also the best man at both of my weddings AND my long time business partner, to lung cancer, I can attest to what he was trying to convey. My friend smoked like an Alco for those 40 years and knew the implications, yet didn't heed the warnings or warning signs.
It was a great loss to his friends and family but more, it was a tremendous loss to mankind.
MADDOG
 #1466900  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The subject of suicide on railroads (or for that matter anyplace) is a sad and delicate subject that
has been discussed at times on some forums here at Railroad.net. I have noticed signs placed at
stations concerning suicide that includes getting help along with a phone number. On the LIRR as
Morisot mentions with 700 miles of track they can happen at any place and not necessarily at or
around publically accessible places such as stations.

Platform doors can be a way of guarding against accidental falls or someone being pushed off a
platform - but with them in use the equipment has to be compatible and not have more then one
side door type which the LIRR has. Retrofitting stations will incur a huge cost for each one that
will have to be installed on multiple tracks at some stations. These seem to be mostly used in
systems where they are protected in some way from outdoor elements. The JFK Airtrain is a
good example of their use in our region.

There are laws against trespassing on railroad tracks-physical presence is enough to get one
arrested and fined-but as far as I am concerned that is the least of any worry - getting hurt
or worse and/or not being aware of the potential dangers is the most important problem.

MACTRAXX