• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Tri-State Tom

Not really sad to me....

These old engines had basically died and gone to choo-choo heaven ( hopefully ). But instead of just being torched and discarded, they're organ donors so that others of their ilk can soldier on in service.

RIP !

by RS115

Around 12:45 today came upon 18 at Morristown waiting to shove out onto NJT with Kitchi Gammi Club, Alder Falls and Ohio River. Anyone know what trip is up?

by RS-3

Actually they hadn't "died". They were shut down when LTV shut down their operations. And sadly most of the parts are going not to support other running Alcos but to non-rail use. In short, (sadly) the parts are worth more than the units as a whole.

RS

by mikedc3

With the price of scrap steel right now, Someone is making $$$$$ on these. Good for them!! Buy low, Sell high.

by mountie17

Saw the 18 with a couple of covered hoppers pass by Rockaway just as I was ordering the Atlas O-Scale version of 18 at Rails-To-Cottages today around 12:30. Somewhat ironic, I guess. :wink:

by Steve F45

ohio river is in phily. I just saw as my amtrak train stopped in phily. Lots of old cars, but only saw hte ohio river.

by blockline4180

Drove by the shops today...At around 12PM the FL-9 2017 was to be found on the hill(?) track...

Also of interest, there were 2 tankers and one box car sitting on the run around...

by Steve F45

I find it so amazing that cars from our area here in nj can end up all over the country. I saw the ohia river in philly yesterday, some louisville and something trailer with that tapered end (not sure if someone in nj owns it), and this morning when i woke up on the amtrak train to florida i saw the kitchi gami club on the tail end of a n/b amtrak train in the savanah,ga station.

probably all for the kentucky derby.

by Shark

I got a few shots of the M&E 18 pulling a green observation car eastbound through Summit at around 11-11:30am on friday.

by Angus202

Likely NYC-3, caught them drilling it out of Whippany earlier that day.

by jhdeasy

RS115 wrote:Around 12:45 today came upon 18 at Morristown waiting to shove out onto NJT with Kitchi Gammi Club, Alder Falls and Ohio River. Anyone know what trip is up?
OHIO RIVER + ALDER FALLS were a NYP - Pittsburgh - NYP charter trip on The Pennsylvanian.

KITCHI GAMMI CLUB was a NYP - Savannah - NYP trip on The Palmetto.

by jhdeasy

2005Vdub wrote:I find it so amazing that cars from our area here in nj can end up all over the country. I saw the ohia river in philly yesterday, some louisville and something trailer with that tapered end (not sure if someone in nj owns it), and this morning when i woke up on the amtrak train to florida i saw the kitchi gami club on the tail end of a n/b amtrak train in the savanah,ga station.

None of the recent moves of private cars owned by the M&E or stored on the M&E had anything to do with the Kentucky Derby. All were for other purposes.

by Steve F45

jhdeasy wrote:
2005Vdub wrote:I find it so amazing that cars from our area here in nj can end up all over the country. I saw the ohia river in philly yesterday, some louisville and something trailer with that tapered end (not sure if someone in nj owns it), and this morning when i woke up on the amtrak train to florida i saw the kitchi gami club on the tail end of a n/b amtrak train in the savanah,ga station.

None of the recent moves of private cars owned by the M&E or stored on the M&E had anything to do with the Kentucky Derby. All were for other purposes.
was just a wild guess.

by Angus202

The MNCRR FL-9 (2017 ?) was being worked on this morning. Wasn't fully started, but poured some blue smoke for a few minutes, shop guys would re-enter the engine room and bang on some things, repeat. With the unit lacking number boards, lights, who knows what else, I thought this would be a parts unit, anyone know why they seem to be readying another F? The 40's have just been bumming around the Whippany line for months now!
-Ryan

by RS115

Just a guess, but maybe if they can get it running half way decently they can sell it as a functional prime mover to the scrapper outfit and then they'll finish up by scrapping the body. M&E has 4 more FL-9's that have been shunted from siding to siding (and donated an occassional part to the two that are running up in Maine) so it's not like they need the MN unit.