• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by RS115

No, not yet. It has been sitting on the run-around by Ridgedale Avenue for some time now.

by PVRX1

21 is back at Whippany. 265 is there as well.

by Spartan Phalanx

M&E is going to scrap an Alco C-630?

by RS115

Was in Morristown on Monday - Ex-Erie Mining RS-11's 7208 and 7213 have been brought to Morristown and were sitting on track 4. Don't know why they've suddenly appeared - parts sources or perhaps the scrapper's torch? 7215 is outside on Track 5 and 4223 was in the house on Track 1.

Today I heard a strange horn and looked out to see 557 (the second ex-Amtrak switcher - now painted all black with some sort of RRPX herald at the bottom of the cab area) headed west towards Morristown with 5 revenue cars in tow and an MHC. Leaving work today there was 1 or more MHC's spotted on the main near the switch to the Malapardis branch. This was several hours after the previous activity so it would seem they left them there for the night. Didn't have time to explore and see if there was any activity down there, but it didn't look like it.

by Tri-State Tom

Stopped by Morristown at around 9:45 this morning and found no evidence that any moves had taken place since the conclusion of Friday's snow/ice storm.

What's more curious/odd is that other than F40 #291 and RS11 #7213 sitting stored on yard track #5 and the M&E hack sitting by it's lonesome on house track #3, the area was both void of engines and ALL the tracks clearly unused since Friday afternoon. The hill track was mostly snow covered and the switches hadn't been cleared of the snow/ice.

Did the M&E move several engines somewhere in anticipation of the storm ?

by RS115

Went by tonight and 18 was outside on Track 1. Nothing has gone past Abbett Avenue but maybe they went out on Transit. Maybe they got 18 into the house for the weekend - don't know what else is in the shop right now.

The two Erie Mining RS-11's and 4321 are down on the Ridgedale run-around with some MHC's and the Nova Scotia engine. The 4264 has been moved from this location (where it's been for a year or so - least it feels that way) don't know if it's been moved into the shop.

by mainetrain

I took these Friday, March 9th. I like the "LV" diamond on the top

Shop pic

This was taken back in July '06

hi

by thebigham

Yeah, Alcos!

by Steve F45

im just curious, does the M&E have that much traffic to need all that power or is most of it parts donors?

by blockline4180

2005Vdub wrote:im just curious, does the M&E have that much traffic to need all that power or is most of it parts donors?
LOL, simple answer: NO! Some are parts donors, but some arent! Some were just scrapped on site!

A few of us have been wondering what money they used to buy all their equipment!

by Tri-State Tom

C424 #18 was spotted just west of HUNTER between the NEC and the Morristown line yesterday. Had 2 tanks in tow on the long hood end and was hitched to a single NJT bi-level coach on the front end....why I dunno.

by PVRX1

Perhaps "Hudson"

by Sirsonic

That track, between the the NJT Morristown Line and Amtrak, by HUDSON, is known as the Center St Industrial. Owned and served by Conrail, it is used to interchange cars with NJT, as well as to serve a customer in Harrison. While freight traffic is not interchanged here with the M&E, occasionally locomotives headed out to other locations (Bayway, Tropicana) are dropped off here for delivery by Conrail.

by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:C424 #18 was spotted just west of HUNTER between the NEC and the Morristown line yesterday. Had 2 tanks in tow on the long hood end and was hitched to a single NJT bi-level coach on the front end....why I dunno.

I wonder why he had two tankers! I had mentioned about a month ago that M&E would start interchanging freight cars with CSX. As others have stated, this doesn't make much sense, but the person who mentioned it to me works for a railroad company and is good friends with Gordon Fuller! So who knows!