• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by PVRX1

So that leaves the score card with 20 at Bayway; 563 and 4223 at ??, and 4216 at Tropicana, as far as the usual active list goes.
  by Angus202

Anyone know what's happening with the Geep? Haven't been to the shop in a while, but it's long hood has been used as a billboard out front for almost a year! Didn't it's new prime mover come in mid-summer?
-Ryan
  by Sandy Burton

563 went to Bayway on Saturday.

I think 4223 is at Trop but I would not swear to that.

Sandy

by PVRX1

Ryan, 22 still inside, long hood still outside.

by mountie17

22's long hood looked to be back on this morning.
4231 and caboose was on the hill.

by RS115

They were preparing to put 22's long hood back on Tuesday afternoon and I couldn't hang around yesterday to watch but I'm guessing it's inside on either track 2 or 3. It wasn't visible today when they were jockeying other things around. 557 (the other SSB ex-Amtrak switcher) is in and all black with yellow handrails scheme - a switcher version of 7215's livery - red stripe remains to be added. Cannon Ball was brought up from Whippany Tuesday as well and tucked into the shop so I assume the re-trucking isn't far away.

They pulled passenger car out of the shop today with windows covered and painted in a off white/cream - don't know if this is going to be a version of the paint scheme seen on the Maine Eastern diesels or it's a base coat for something else. Strangely it was left outside along the shop on track 3. I say strangely given the temps - it takes a lot longer to warm the metal back up to a paintable temp than it does to loose it sitting outside.

A

by blockline4180

Not exactly a "Morristown Diesel Doings", but the M&E 18 was borrowed by the H0-2 yesterday. It is currently sitting in Dover yard and is slated to work down the good ol P&D tomorrow..

by RS115

Swung by Morristown on Sunday just to see what was around. 18 and 19 were in front of the shop along with caboose #4 tied onto 19. What was unusual is that both engines were running as opposed to plugged in for the weekend, something I've not seen in quite awhile. No one was around. The crane was parked up front and there was a set of trucks (4 wheel) loose on track 3 in front of the ex-Royal Rail car. 4231 7215 21 rounded out the motive power presence (all presumably drained). Also present was a faded red 'Conrail' caboose presumably NS's though they had it with them coming back from Whippany last week when they came past my office.

by Tri-State Tom

Trainlawyer -
I would say that this is a good indication that the units never went to Metro-North.
Apparantly you've been outta the loop for quite sometime. This subject was explained/resolved about 8-9 months ago.

by Tri-State Tom

Trainlawyer -

Below via poster Sirsonic at the time ( emphasis mine )....

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The F40's have Amtrak ACSES (Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System) equipment installed on them. This cab signal equipment is compatible with NJT cab signals. While those who maintain this equipment would need some training on its operation, I believe it is not too far off from how NJTs SES works (the ACSES part of the cab signal apparatus, which functions in cooperation with, but separately from the cab signals would not be used on NJT). Given that the locomotives sent out for rebuilding have started to return (4188 has returned and is in service) I seriously doubt these locomotives will turn a wheel in the service on MN or NJT.

Nothing was pending after this.

M-N original/ongoing interest was due to them being power short last Spring. No power shortage = no need to pursue the M&E F40's....end of story.

by PVRX1

Went by the other day and found caboose 4 C424 19 and CR / NS Dover NJ stencilled red caboose out near Abbett Avenue, tied down and idling.

4231, 7215, 21, 291, all back around the shop.

by Sandy Burton

The NS caboose, 4231 and 21 were up on the hill siding at noon today. Saw them there yesterday too. 18 and 19 are in front of the engine house. 7215, and 291 are along side the house. 22 was shrink wrapped for the winter or until they have time to work on it again.

Sandy

by mountie17

Saw both the 18 in Denville running light east and the 19 in Whippany later. And also saw that 22 was sitting on the siding at Jefferson Road.

by PVRX1

as of 345pm on Tuesday 2-27-06............

Track 2 in fron tof door - # 19
Track 5 (against the hill) - # 7215 and # 291
On the hill siding - # 4231

by Nova55

Did they scrap the CBNS C630 yet?