• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2007

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by blockline4180

The 484 and 2017 were pulled from the hill this afternoon and positioned next to a "Safety-Kleen" recycling service truck, not sure if they were pumping out the fuel tank or oil pan, but seems like 2017's prime mover is about to be yanked. I can't figure out why they'd need another F, so is the 484 going into service or being readied for scrap as well?

I'm inclined to believe that the 484 WILL BE used and not scrapped since it was brought down to Morristown after the 2017 prime mover was yanked! You never know though!

by Angus202

2017's engine is still in it as it sits open on the hill. In other news a crew of 6 took the F40 for a joy ride to cedar knolls and back today after being jumped by the 18. 4223 in the shop with all its lettering torn off... shame it's going to WNY&P, it's the best looking unit on the roster!

by denvillerailfan

18 was just sitting @ Whippany with a string of syrup tanks.
Not sure which way it was heading since it was just sitting there.

BTW, there have been some tanks sitting at the stub end past B&G for a few weeks. I keep seeing them on my way home on 280 west.
Guess I'll find out tomorrow if they were with the 18 today.
  by Sandy Burton

I stopped by Morristown at lunchtime today. 4223 was outside and, from the Staples parking lot, appears to have all of its lettering, logos, etc. intact . At least the logo was still on the nose and the lettering on the engineer side was still there. Of course, they are very faded and look pretty ratty.

Sandy

by RS115

Drove by Morristown on the way home. 4223, 7215 and 18 outside in that order. 4223 has definately had markings removed on both long hoods (some more successfully than others), the numbers on the cab sides (why - number boards have not been changed) and today the logo is gone from the nose (ripped off it looks like). I assume they'll use some solvent or something to clean up/get more off (industrial strenth 'Goo Gone?').

At lunch time the 2017 was up on the hill and 7215 was inside on track 2. Tonight the 2017 was gone as was 21 which was outside at lunch time so I assume they got shoved into the house.

This mornign around 8:15 18 was heading out to the transit main with 4 tank cars. They did come east past the office later in the day and return but I couldn't see anything. So, it's possible that one or the other loco was also taken to Whippany.

by Angus202

The M420 that's been sitting @ lake jct (and missing a traction motor) for about a year now was brought to motown this afternoon. 3 or 4 geared wheel sets disappeared from the parts graveyard in front of the shop upon it's arrival. :-)
-Ryan

by Wanderer

You can count the FL9 484 as no longer M&E. The unit was interchanged today on the Center Street Branch to CSX, and is now FEC484. It's waybilled for home shop, Bowden, FL (Jacksonville).

hi

by thebigham

Thanks for the update!

The M&E is really cleaning house.

I wonder if new power is on the way at some point?

Chris

by Luther Brefo

What is the current roster looking like?

by thebigham

Luther Brefo wrote:What is the current roster looking like?
Look on Page 23 of this thread.

by Luther Brefo

thebigham wrote:
Luther Brefo wrote:What is the current roster looking like?
Look on Page 23 of this thread.
Thanks a bunch Chris. :wink:

by washingtonsecondary

18 was heading back to Dover at about 1:15 on the D&R. 2 covered hoppers in tow.

by blockline4180

washingtonsecondary wrote:18 was heading back to Dover at about 1:15 on the D&R. 2 covered hoppers in tow.
Wow, 2 cars??? Business is really booming on the D&R!

I remember back in the late 1990's early 2000's M&E would routinely tow between 8 and 12 cars on the branch tri-weekly!

by SecaucusJunction

blockline4180 wrote:
washingtonsecondary wrote:18 was heading back to Dover at about 1:15 on the D&R. 2 covered hoppers in tow.
Wow, 2 cars??? Business is really booming on the D&R!

I remember back in the late 1990's early 2000's M&E would routinely tow between 8 and 12 cars on the branch tri-weekly!

WOW! forget THE tunnel and all those projects, with all of this traffic, the state should be spending the money double and triple tracking this route!