Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#310304  by orangeline

A warehouse fire next to the Lake St. L (Green/Pink lines) has closed Ashland Ave station and a massive fire in an abandoned 6-story building on Wabash next to CTA South Side line near former Harrison Curve has shut down all Green/Orange line service. Last I heard, CFD was expecting the roof of the 1880's-vintage building to collapse and there was fear the walls may fall outward onto the L structure. This has not been one of CTA's better days.

#310778  by JamesT4

The Ashland Station on the green/pink lines has reopen as of 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

As for the fire that shut down the green & orange lines, that the Orange line, and the south branch of the green line is stopped at Roosevelt untill futher notice, and the lake branch of the green line is going around the loop counterclockwise(Via Wells-Van Beaurn-Wabash-Lake(Brown Line loop running)), and back to Harlem/Lake.
Last edited by JamesT4 on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

#310882  by BMT Standard

I noted Tuesday afternoon that there was an 8 car train of 3200s (presumably an Orange line consist) in the Forest Park (Lake/Harlem) yard. I would guess that this train got "stranded" in the Loop in Tuesday and couldn't get back to Midway.

#310889  by Ratinyourhat

The CTA seems to its issues all at once, last week there was a cracked rail in the red line subway, and about 2 minutes after they found out about that a derailment occured at the forest park yard. Needless to say the rail controller was quite unhappy