Railroad Forums 

• Things dont look good for the Colebrookdale Spur

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#873034  by Schuylkill Valley

I took more of the unused part of the line today.
Len.
Just on the other side of the YMCA bridge.

I like small cameras , you can fit them between the fence posts. :)

Looking to New berlinsville. Old Road bed Note: Tracks are still there just coved over with dirt.

Any body need some junk?

While I was taking theses photo's the man I was talking to told me "every day at this time they leave out some kind of gas, that's why it smells like rotten eges."

any body want some Coke?

on the north end of the Steel Company you can see where they filled over the tracks with dirt. Here you can see them before crossing Brick Yard Lane.

Here's the Brick Yard Lane crossing, Note: you can see how they built up the road over the tracks. the tracks continue but over grown of brush.
 #883048  by NS2448

coreff15 wrote:The Engine is on the move today as well as doing some idle time. Guess they need to make sure things still running since its had been so cold lately.
Does any one know were the engine is start posting soon.
 #883052  by NS2448

NS2448 wrote:
coreff15 wrote:The Engine is on the move today as well as doing some idle time. Guess they need to make sure things still running since its had been so cold lately.
is the railroad having trouble with walmart?
 #883204  by jrevans

NS2448 wrote:
NS2448 wrote:
is the railroad having trouble with walmart?
Well, not really, since the tracks are currently miles away from the Bechtelsville Walmart.

But, if the county and railroad ever want to restore service to the quarry, than I suspect that they will indeed encounter trouble from Walmart.
 #912336  by coreff15

While at work today, I observed the very labor intensive work of replacing railroad ties by hand. There are 3 guys working from the rail yard on 3rd St and headed south towards Pottstown. I am not sure exactly how far south they have been going, but there are numerous bundles of new ties in Boyertown. I also herd that all of the bridges on the rail line are being inspected and maintence performed prior to the line being used.
 #912683  by jrevans

Here's a (shaky) video from the cab of the EBGR running some of the line. Wow, I never realized how tight the ROW was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L7RjqwrLeM

It appears that there will be another speeder excursion on the Colebrookdale Branch this year. I was able to see some of the speeders last Fall (November 2010) when they ran the line and I'm always fascinated by them.

The Northern Central Railcar Association will be hosting a speeder excursion on the “Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad”, Sunday June 12, 2011
http://ncraspeeders.org/ncra_005.htm
 #935267  by jrevans

I don't know the details, but I just read this in the Reading Eagle:

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=310447
In other business, Pick said that Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad scheduled its first freight-car run from Pottstown to Boyertown.

The authority has been involved in helping restore the county-owned line, and is in the preliminary stages of planning a facility to load and unload trains.

Pick said the county has chosen EBGR as its operator.

I guess it's Drug Plastics (since nobody else was really using rail before....)?