Railroad Forums 

• Things dont look good for the Colebrookdale Spur

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#863111  by Schuylkill Valley

Here are more of the railroad road bed north of Boyertown. We start our tour at Wal mart parking lot / ROW.

Here you can see Wal Mart filled in the ROW with almost 8 feet of dirt.

Now we are looking north to Barto.

This would be the Crossing at Township Line Road and Railroad Street

Looking South to Boyertown from the crossing at Township Line Road

ROW is where the trucks are parked.

Looking North to Barto

Looking North past the quary entrest

small creek bridge north of the quary.

Looks like it was two tracks wide here.

Looking north past the creek bridge

Looking even more north on the old ROW

Small stream under the ROW

Old Photo box pole.

Next crossing Unknown Road name in Washington Township

Looking at where the crossing was.

This was all I had walk from Township Road crossing, More next time.

On my way back I found this railroad tie still in place. I tryed to wipe the dirt of to show the pike still in the tie.

Another view of the tie
 #864016  by SemperFidelis

Thank you very much for the photographs. Little, aside from Walmart, has changed since I traced the abandoned line last (2005ish).

If there is ever to be rail service to MSQ again, the issue will most likley have to be visited well after the economy rebounds. Construction material shipments have collapsed, though paving/highway related projects remained strong during that short period of government interest in infrastructure.
 #866727  by Trails to Rails

Schuylkill Valley wrote:Yes,
It is located in an open field north of the Barto station. The 3 stall engine house is built out of Red brick and the workmen shed is also still standing along with the scale house. the owner of the property is Longacer Dairy.

Len.
While I appreciate all of the info given on this site and don't want to stir up trouble; don't you think NOT posting a photo but telling the world where the engine house is located might be even worse from the property owners perspective? What no coordinates?
 #866845  by Schuylkill Valley

The 3 stall engine house is on private property and all chain link fenced in. I ask permission to go back there and look around for historical information.
I soon will have more photo's of the upper half of the line, starting from the last road crossing you saw in the above photo's. I was chatting with a few people along the route and they would love to have rail service again.
Last edited by Andyt293 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: Spelling, Grammar and unsubstantiated information.
 #868327  by M19fairmont

Hi Guys,

A group of NARCOA speeder will be running the Colebrookdale Spur this weekend on Sunday November 7th. Permission has been granted for a speeder excursion on the “Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad”. To our knowledge, this is the first NARCOA excursion on this railroad. I will be running my M-19 fairmont on the run. They have 8.6 miles of track that we expect to run several times. Set on wil be around 9 AM in the yard area.
 #868362  by jrevans

My google alert for "Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad" got an interesting hit today:

http://www.narps.org/Class%20III%20Rail ... ariffs.htm

It has the Freight Tariff info for the new Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad.

I've attached the PDF files from the site:
EASTERN_BERKS_GATEWAY_RAILROAD_adoption_notice.pdf
EASTERN_BERKS_GATEWAY_RAILROAD_Freight_Tariff.pdf
 #868426  by jrevans

M19fairmont wrote:Hi Guys,

A group of NARCOA speeder will be running the Colebrookdale Spur this weekend on Sunday November 7th. Permission has been granted for a speeder excursion on the “Eastern Berks Gateway Railroad”. To our knowledge, this is the first NARCOA excursion on this railroad. I will be running my M-19 fairmont on the run. They have 8.6 miles of track that we expect to run several times. Set on wil be around 9 AM in the yard area.
That sounds quite neat! Be sure to get some pictures to share with us.
 #869231  by jrevans

After church we were down in Pottstown taking some family pictures and we saw the speeders (and a high-rail pickup) coming down the line towards King Street. On our way back home, I saw them at King Street and snapped a few pictures from the minivan as I was driving. :) The pictures are attached.

My three year old son was so excited to see you guys since I mentioned to him on the way down that there was a possibility that we'd see some special trains on the tracks.
 #869232  by jrevans

Since I can only seem to attach three pictures at a time, here's the last picture that I took of the speeders at King Street in Pottstown, PA.
 #870270  by M19fairmont

More pictures of the speeder run I took from inside my M-19 Fairmont an a group shot. Lost the one video I had an camera. I have to down load one from the cell.
Attachments:
(266.9 KiB) Downloaded 3964 times
(249.51 KiB) Downloaded 3964 times
(276.85 KiB) Downloaded 3964 times
 #870505  by jrevans

M19fairmont wrote:More pictures of the speeder run I took from inside my M-19 Fairmont an a group shot. Lost the one video I had an camera. I have to down load one from the cell.
Awesome pictures. Looks like a nice, scenic ride down the line. Thanks for sharing!