Railroad Forums 

• SRNJ - Southern Railroad of New Jersey

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1617110  by David

All SRNJ trains run at complete random. Pleasantville IT is served at least once a week and starts near Atlantic City.
[/quote]
adin
GRIFF Junction--Just outside Atlantic City. Old connection from remainder of old Reading line..
 #1617113  by WashingtonPark

JohnFromJersey wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:17 pm
AceMacSD wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:57 am Saw their operation on Sunday. There's potential, should another more financially stable, operation come in and salvage what they're neglecting.
Maybe a certain operator off the Southern could be of interest in the future for the operation
WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:26 pm Was told it was a freight car taken to Swedesboro. SMS has been running caboose hops on some weekends Swedesboro to Mannington.
What's a caboose hop???
A caboose hop is an engine and caboose. The caboose is used to run small tourist train runs.
 #1617687  by WashingtonPark

CR7876 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:50 am They were getting vandalized in Woodbury, so SRNJ moved them to an unknown location. Well it was unknown.......
Not a secret location though. Right next to the crossing in plain sight for everyone traveling on Jessop Road to see. Probably so anyone messing with them would be easily spotted by the police.
 #1638168  by rrbluesman

Within the last week on a different form someone told me the srnj is somehow involved with a current Rehabilitation project restoring the southern division right of way from milepost 104 at Winslow Junction South to Vineland. They were not able to provide any further information as to whether or not an online customer has developed or some other reason to reopen the right of way has developed; I am unaware of any official paperwork the dish is true. Does anyone have any information that might substantiate this claim?
 #1638203  by JohnFromJersey

rrbluesman wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:59 pm Within the last week on a different form someone told me the srnj is somehow involved with a current Rehabilitation project restoring the southern division right of way from milepost 104 at Winslow Junction South to Vineland. They were not able to provide any further information as to whether or not an online customer has developed or some other reason to reopen the right of way has developed; I am unaware of any official paperwork the dish is true. Does anyone have any information that might substantiate this claim?
Interesting. Wasn't it being said not too long ago that SRNJ isn't in good financial spots? I believe they lost the Salem Branch not too long ago, but I could be wrong. If I'm right, that seems like a lot of work for them to take on.

How long is that distance? Between Winslow Junction and Vineland is roughly 16-17 miles, but the closer you get to Winslow, the better shape the tracks are in. The closer to Vineland, the more overgrown they are.

If this is true, we should know soon, since grant notices should be coming
 #1638204  by Bracdude181

The portion between Winslow and the Black Horse Pike crossing was used for much longer but the line as a whole is in terrible shape. I believe the last train to actually go past the Winslow Yard Limits was when Winslow Hot Mix was still getting service. 3-4 years ago? They may have gone past it more recently for car storage but I'm not sure.

Also, has anything happened with that company that's supposedly leasing part of the Pleasantville IT?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

#1638245  by rrbluesman

The southern division is barricaded south of the Black Horse Pike at Reading Avenue, Jackson Road, the green Crossing is completely pulled up at unexpected Road and is also barricaded, this was true the last time I took a hike down the right of way between the Black Horse Pike and Jackson Road, and between Jackson Road and unexpected road. I can remember srnj very rarely storing tanker cars south of the Black Horse Pike between 2003 and maybe 2013 or 2014 as far south as the private Crossing for the Sand Company between Jackson and unexpected, but at least a quarter mile before the industrial spur that previously led to the sand company.

I'm almost 100% confident but I heard on the other form is at best speculation or rumor. I would imagine if the srnj had suddenly developed a potential online customer on the southern division anywhere between milepost 106 and Cohen in Vineland there would be something to back it.
 #1638264  by JohnFromJersey

rrbluesman wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:33 am I'm almost 100% confident but I heard on the other form is at best speculation or rumor. I would imagine if the srnj had suddenly developed a potential online customer on the southern division anywhere between milepost 106 and Cohen in Vineland there would be something to back it.
It is likely speculation, but if it's true, grants for RR work tend to come out around this time of the year, so if it's true, we will hear something about it soon.