Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RGlueck

by philipmartin

I never saw an RS-1 on the Long Island but did see one making a fast move with a commuter train on the Susquehanna one time.
  by John 61

Nice photos. # 4 is Syosset just west of the station, correct? switching Georgia Pacific. I remember being taken there as a kid in the 60's to see the train.
Last edited by John 61 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MattAmity90

philipmartin wrote:I never saw an RS-1 on the Long Island but did see one making a fast move with a commuter train on the Susquehanna one time.
#3 is actually East of Syosset crossing the Syosset/Woodbury Road grade crossing.
  by MADDOG

nyandw wrote:Dick: What location is being switched in Huntington? The interior shot is of...? Thanks for the post! :-)
This picture looks like the interior of a T-54 ping pong diesel hauled coach.
3-2 walkover seating, ceiling fans and bullet lights along the length of the car. Same interior that we have on our coach at Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.
MADDOG
  by SwingMan

#1 is west of Huntington. To the right of the power poles is the current day Freight Track and North Side where they lay-up the scoot and a few other trains. To the right of that are Port Jeff 1 and Port Jeff 2.
  by RGlueck

The M1 train is the first run of a revenue MU passenger train on the PJ branch. The S2 switcher is just east of Huntington. The C420 is just west of Syosset station.

Want more?
  by Crabman1130

RGlueck wrote:The M1 train is the first run of a revenue MU passenger train on the PJ branch.
When was the PJ branch electrified?
  by nyandw

Isn't #1 just east of W. Pulaski Rd. In the old freight house location with ex-GLF or Hamilton Co. Warehouse off to the far left?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Crabman1130 wrote:
RGlueck wrote:The M1 train is the first run of a revenue MU passenger train on the PJ branch.
When was the PJ branch electrified?
East of Mineola (Huntington), 1970.
  by RGlueck

All, Cold Spring Hill, Friday afternoon, around 1970.
  by MattAmity90

I know someone is going to ask this, and I have the answer.

"Why is there only one track there, I thought it was double-tracked?"

The answer is that from Amott Interlocking East of Syosset to West of Huntington was only single-tracked since the beginning, even after the electrification of 1970. In the mid-1980's, they double-tracked that area to avoid the bottleneck, and this included Cold Spring Harbor getting a second track and platform.
  by RGlueck

Matt, you're telling me Cold Spring Hill is now double-tracked? See what happens when you're away for 45 years?
I'll be darned!
  by keyboardkat

MADDOG wrote:
nyandw wrote:Dick: What location is being switched in Huntington? The interior shot is of...? Thanks for the post! :-)
This picture looks like the interior of a T-54 ping pong diesel hauled coach.
3-2 walkover seating, ceiling fans and bullet lights along the length of the car. Same interior that we have on our coach at Oyster Bay Railroad Museum.
MADDOG
The diesel hauled"54s" were class P-54. The T-54s were MU electric motorless trailer cars with blind ends. They had exactly the same carbody and trucks as the P-54s, and were hard to tell apart, except that the T-54s had pass-through MU jumper cables, while the P-54s had steam heat pipes and a belt-driven generator powered by one axle, which charged the battery which powered the lights and fans. To complicate matters, the LIRR also had MT-54s, which were cabless MU motor cars. They had the same carbody, too, but of course had different trucks and third-rail shoes. And finally, the MP-54s, which were double-ended MU cab motor cars. Now, if you're ready for your exam...