Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jumpshot724

I remember ridin those things....

My family and I used to take the train from Port Jeff - Smithtown "Just for fun" and walk around Smithtown, eat dinner, and play a couple games of bowling at the alley by the Smithtown station before taking the train back home. It was one of our summer family activities every now and then. I used to like standing with my dad on the platform of the old coaches right behind the lead diesel. Good memories lol....

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Wonderful Pictures, spent 30 years of my life riding that equipment. I know the bi-levels are more comfortable, but it was more fun working the old equipment.

by hotbike

This train was unusual on account of the two parlor cars.

I have a lot of old LIRR on VHS tape... What am I going to do?

Should I try to transfer them to DVD? or put them on youtube?

I still have some prints I haven't scanned yet.

by hotbike

269 leads an eastbound at Queens Village.

The train is leaving the station.

I am out of LIRR photos! I will try to get around to scanning some more.

by Long Island 9627

I Love to See Some of Your Videos that be cool

by LRail

I enjoyed your photos. Keep'em coming!

by Plywoodhall33

Jumpshot724 wrote:I remember ridin those things....

My family and I used to take the train from Port Jeff - Smithtown "Just for fun" and walk around Smithtown, eat dinner, and play a couple games of bowling at the alley by the Smithtown station before taking the train back home. It was one of our summer family activities every now and then. I used to like standing with my dad on the platform of the old coaches right behind the lead diesel. Good memories lol....
Wow,I used to do the same exact thing,and I sill do it today :-)
  by SwingMan

Me three on riding behind the engine. I railfan about 1 time a week. Fun stuff. :-) lirr415

by Jumpshot724

Wow,I used to do the same exact thing,and I sill do it today
Yea, we haven't done it since the bi-level coaches entered service, so this was a while ago lol. My littlest sister still holds it over my head that she got to "ride the double decker" because I have never been on one of the bi-levels. Everythime I'm supposed to I wind up missing the train and have to drive to a different station where it's always an M3 or M7 lol

by Otto Vondrak

Great photos... thanks very much for sharing.

It's fairly easy and inexpensive to get your VHS videos transferred to DVD. They'll last a lot longer, too!

-otto-

by hotbike

Otto Vondrak wrote:Great photos... thanks very much for sharing.

It's fairly easy and inexpensive to get your VHS videos transferred to DVD. They'll last a lot longer, too!

-otto-
What if I have 8mm VIDEO, and it's not Hi8, can I find someone to transfer the six hours of tape for me?

This photo will never be repeated. I was on the open vestibule behind 266, and for some reason, I shot a picture of rush hour traffic on Northern Boulevard.

by hotbike

Mineola.

And now some photos of the C1's:
Completely different than the C3's we see today! Photo's were taken November 1996.

by L'mont

How many C-1's are in service?

by hotbike

L'mont wrote:How many C-1's are in service?
At this time there are no longer any C1's in service. There were ten C1's in their heyday, but the voltage was different. It was decided that it would cost too much to re-wire the C1's than it was worth.

by RPM2Night

were the C1s sold, or were they just given away?