Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by hotbike

The FA2 #607 leads a train at Sea Cliff station.

272 eastbound at Glen Head.

154 leads a westbound at Glen Head. The water tower is an identifying landmark in Glen Head. The wooden waiting booth was torn down in 1997.

by hotbike

I was on the Oyster Bay train in Jamaica when a stone train went by. I snapped this photograph from the vestibule of the car I was on.

619 leads the train between Glen Head and Sea Cliff in this black and white photo.

The flank of #621, when the unit still had the "bicentenial" red stripes.

by hotbike

616 leads a westbound though Mineola.

255 eastbound in Mineola.

162 leads a westbound into Roslyn. My Daughter's Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle is on the left of the photograph, with it's Kenworth truck inspired aerodynamic spoiler.

by hotbike

The pedestrian overpass in Mineola in 1999, when the glass was still see-thru.

266 in Mineola.

9866 leads an eastbound train though Mineola.

#102, the protect engine, at Jamaica.

by Johnny F

Nice pics. Thanks.

I haven't been to Mineola in some time. I notice air conditioners in the second floor windows. Who uses/used the second floor? I know at one time the second floor was living space for the station agents at some stations, but I thought that practice was discontinued some years ago.

by Dave Keller

The agent hasn't lived up there in more than 35 years, at least.

35 years ago, the timetable department was upstairs.

Don't know if they still are or not . . . .

Dave

by Frank

Good pictures!

I miss the old diesels.
  by fender52

The Branch Line Managers now work from upstairs at Mineola.
At one time, there were a few stations that had apartments above the stations for the Agents and later on were rented out to employees. They weren't bad places, but try to get repairs done in them. IE. Bayside, Gibson, Great Neck, Manhasset, Bayshore, Westhampton

by pennsy

Hi All,

Great shots, keep them coming. Brings back some fond memories. Reminds me of the crowds at the Jamaica station, and waiting for my Far Rockaway train at the station as well.

by hotbike

nyandw wrote:Hotbike: Two very nice pics of the FA units, #607 and #619! :-D

I'd like to add to: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrFA/lirrFA.htm with your permission. Can you indicate: Dates and photo credit required? Thank you!

Best,

SteveImage
#619 is an F9, not an Alco.
Sorry I do not have the dates written anywhere.
"Photo by James Donohue" would suffice.

by hotbike

613 carries the markers on an eastbound leaving Glen Head.

by hotbike

These were photographed in Glen Head, for posterity, as news was out that the DE's and DM's were coming.

by Long Island 9627

Nice's Photos hotbike you have more pics keep it coming.

by SOO4601

Great pics hotbike!
It's great to see the old diesels, especially for me, since I was only about 3 or 4 years old when most of them were taken out of service. Although I do remember a few trains, it's great to see these pics. :-)

Keep em coming!
Dietrich