Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LB

The Mineola photos appear to be around 1970; was the track to Garden City still in place, or was it removed by then?
  by RGlueck

It was still in place.
  by LB

1969 photos were the last time I saw the Mineola to Garden City track still in place (although probably out of service by then); I haven't seen any good 1970 or 1971 shots to bracket down exactly when they were ripped out.

I saw A&P on the 1978 Garden City to Mitchell Field Secondary map (posted above); sadly they just filed for bankruptcy and will probably be liquidated. An end to a company that dates back to 1859, just 15 years after the LIRR started operations.
  by northpit

Great photos by mr glueck
  by RGlueck

Northpit: Thank you. But I should mention, I was only one of a group of college/H.S. kids who convened regularly to take these types of pictures. Others include the late Pete Stonitsch, James Mardiguian, George Forrero, Doug Dalm, Spencer Richey, Vin Alvino, and a few others. At least three of us, if not more would get together and shoot pictures on Friday evenings, Saturdays (when we weren't working) or Sundays. It was a blast.
  by LB

Steve's Trains are Fun Website states the Mineola to Garden City tracks were ripped out by OCT 73, anyone have a more precise date? Also, was that short section of track electrified (I don't think it was based on the limited photos I have seen)? I didn't actually get to survey location until around 73-74, and the tracks were gone by then.
  by baileyjet2000

I believe the section from Mineola to Garden City was electrified at one time. If I remember some of the pictures I have seen showed third rail on the track curving off towards GC. Whether it was still electrified is another issue.
  by ExNYC63

Yes, the line was electrified all the way. At one time there were through electric trains
from Valley Stream to Mineola.
  by scopelliti

ExNYC63 wrote:Yes, the line was electrified all the way. At one time there were through electric trains
from Valley Stream to Mineola.
That would make sense, but I'll bet Robert Moses shut that down :-)
  by vince

The connection was removed in 1939.
Reference Emery Map Hempstead #4 here >>>====> http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/centra ... tead-4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a view looking south from Stewart Avenue at the top of the wye on the Emery Map on my LIRR Open Rails Route.

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/album.php? ... ntid=60334" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Click on the photo to display the rest of the album.
Best regards,
vince
  by LB

Did the West Hempstead to Mineola electrification pre-date the Main Line electrification from Floral Park to Mineola in the late 1920's?
  by RGlueck

First Friday night for new L2's on the C-Ball!

by nyandw

A wonderful collection of historic material that you photoed and lived through; as always. :-) Why are your photos not labeled as to location, date,etc. and credited for the future? Really nice material.
  by RGlueck

Steve: All shots are 1967 - up 1973. The yard shots are Oyster Bay. Note the RS3 is flaking paint already! The parlor cars are all at Nassau Tower. Not the pastel blue on the one shot? That was the first run day for those locomotives. They were later repainted in a darker blue. The shots on Cold Spring Hill are all around 1967-68 on ...Cold Spring Hill! Is that really double tracked today?