Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1341386  by DutchRailnut

in house ?? no they do not have capability in CDOT shop.
 #1341513  by Jeff Smith

runningwithscalpels wrote:
bulk88 wrote:I think the CDOT P40s are going to Frontier Industrial for scrapping, the existing CDOT units are too run down.
Says who? Why would they buy four units to replace EIGHT? M8's on Shore Line East are still nowhere near a reality, and they have new service coming on line in a shade over a year with NHHS (Hartford line...whatever they want to call it.) Maybe in the interim before the equipment is stretched thin again the NJT units will offer them some flexibility to properly service what they already have...but scrapping them? HIGHLY unlikely.
Hey, they always have the FL9's (ducks LOL).

I think the idea may just be to use them until they die, and as a bridge until new equipment actually comes on line. And keep handing them down for other service expansion plans (increased Waterbury, Berlin, the endless Danbury saga, etc.). Hey, maybe Housy will take them!
 #1341533  by Ridgefielder

Jeff Smith wrote:I think the idea may just be to use them until they die, and as a bridge until new equipment actually comes on line. And keep handing them down for other service expansion plans (increased Waterbury, Berlin, the endless Danbury saga, etc.). Hey, maybe Housy will take them!
That would make far too much sense for the Housy. I'm confidently expecting them to pick up an old BN E9 or two to go with those ex-Metra bi-levels. That or a 2-8-4 because hey, the Berkshires! :wink:
 #1341701  by NaugyRR

Ridgefielder wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:I think the idea may just be to use them until they die, and as a bridge until new equipment actually comes on line. And keep handing them down for other service expansion plans (increased Waterbury, Berlin, the endless Danbury saga, etc.). Hey, maybe Housy will take them!
That would make far too much sense for the Housy. I'm confidently expecting them to pick up an old BN E9 or two to go with those ex-Metra bi-levels. That or a 2-8-4 because hey, the Berkshires! :wink:
Bilevels are gone actually lol
 #1342048  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Well, SLE's certainly going to be one of the more colorful commuter rail lines in the country for the next little while...what with McGuinnes-era NYNH&H paint, Amtrak Phase V, and NJT disco stripes alternating turns on the daily schedule.
 #1342187  by YamaOfParadise

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Well, SLE's certainly going to be one of the more colorful commuter rail lines in the country for the next little while...what with McGuinnes-era NYNH&H paint, Amtrak Phase V, and NJT disco stripes alternating turns on the daily schedule.
I wonder if they're going to bother to put a SLE or CDOT logo over the NJT logo for these locomotives; I know they certainly didn't slap a new one on all of the P40DC's they got from Amtrak.

Also, does anyone know when these guys are going to be coming north? Certainly going to be interesting seeing them moved up on whatever train they tack them onto.
 #1342191  by DutchRailnut

so far purchase is not confirmed, but if they move they do not need to be on a train, but can move on their own power. NJT crew from MMC to NYP and MN crew from NYP to New Haven.
move would be at night because of diesel smoke in NYP and tunnels.
or NJT could tow them to outside Sunnyside with Electric motor and let MN crew take it from there in diesel.
 #1359114  by DutchRailnut

not really, they have been used, mainly on Atlantic city shuttle.