Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Backshophoss

Since 3 0f the 4 P40's were stored,need to redo the air brake work to get them current,then mods to the
ASCES and Cab signal gear for updating,undoing what NJT did when they were stored,and testing/
repairing prime mover and electrical gear as needed.
  by DutchRailnut

all 4 have been stored since late 2013 and are all due for 3 year inspection.
  by CNJGeep

DutchRailnut wrote:all 4 have been stored since late 2013
This is incorrect, as I have in my records 4802 leading an ACL train in February of 2014, and there is a photo online of the 4801 leading an MMC shop move in November of 2014.
  by DutchRailnut

ok still, all 4 are due 3 year inspection including brake valves.

and shop moves unless they go out on main, do not need to have locomotive current on inspections, movement of non-compliant engines in maintenance facility are ok.
  by CNJGeep

DutchRailnut wrote:ok still, all 4 are due 3 year inspection including brake valves.

and shop moves unless they go out on main, do not need to have locomotive current on inspections, movement of non-compliant engines in maintenance facility are ok.
Let me be more specific, my apologies. The locomotive in question was leading a shop move from the MMC in Kearney to Morrisville Yard over Amtrak.
  by amtrakhogger

All 4 P40's aquired by CDOT from NJT are sitting in Hudson yard presumbly to be ferried to New Haven tonight or later this week.
  by DutchRailnut

only took 8 months for check to clear ?
  by Backshophoss

So the intention is to move them on a mty CWR train to Cedar hill?
  by gregorygrice

Backshophoss wrote:So the intention is to move them on a mty CWR train to Cedar hill?
Currently at New Haven now. Went up as an Equipment Extra; 615, P40DC, P40DC, P40DC, P40DC, Heritage Bag. Crews will move it to CDOT shops later today I believe

https://youtu.be/BZ6fBTUpQlk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Jeff Smith

Published on Mar 11, 2016

Amtrak Extra 615 heads east up the Northeast Corridor/New Haven Line with 4 Ex-NJT P40DC's in tow.

The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CDOT/ConnDOT) purchased the 4 engines 10 months ago from New Jersey Transit to be used on Shore Line East service and also on the new "Hartford Commuter" service opening soon. NJT delivered the units to Hudson Yard in Newark, NJ early monring 3/10/16 where they were then picked up by Amtrak during the night and brought to New Haven Yard in Connecticut for acceptance arriving early morning the next day (3/11/16).

The consist of the train was as follows;

+AMTK #615 (Amtrak ACS-64)
+CDOT #4800 (Ex-NJT #4800, exx-AMTK 812)
+CDOT #4801 (Ex-NJT #4801, exx-AMTK 808)
+CDOT #4802 (Ex-NJT #4802, exx-AMTK 810)
+CDOT #4803 (Ex-NJT #4803, exx-AMTK 820)
+Amtrak Heritage Baggage

(Taken EARLY MORNING 3/11/16)

*If you have any questions, please feel free to ask AFTER FULLY reading the description.
Last edited by GirlOnTheTrain on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Merged P40 topics, no need for duplicate links with posts following each other.
  by Backshophoss

The NJT logos were removed,lets see how bad ConnDOT patches them. :wink:
  by dowlingm

What was the bag for? So the ACS didn't have to return light engine?
  by gregorygrice

dowlingm wrote:What was the bag for? So the ACS didn't have to return light engine?
To allow it to run as a normal train. I also believe some of the parts were in there.
  by TDowling

I assume transit is going to replace the p40s with their new alp45s?
  by DutchRailnut

since P40's were sidelined for over 2 years I assume they replaced them with something, try question on NJT forum.