• Septa wants requests on how to improve service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by R3 Passenger

AlexC wrote:Take a deep breath guys.

Anyway, from what I am reading here is that there is a consensus that Trenton Line service needs to be improved, specifically on the points of:

[*]Transfers to/from NJT;
[*]Reverse-Peak market;
[*]Service Speed and Frequencies; and
[*]Commuter Market Overlap.

I think that the biggest obstacle to all of this is Amtrak. Amtrak owns the track and associated railroad propulsion and dispatching infrastructure, and I don't know how SEPTA's agreement with Amtrak is set up. Are they only permitted to run a certain number of trains? Can SEPTA only operate between certain times? Must SEPTA adhere to a schedule of slots set by Amtrak? Who knows!

We can argue as to what should be until the fictional cows come home. I think that the real question with the Trenton Line is "What can SEPTA do to improve service?"

And Pat, thank you for the compliment on my post-writing habits.
  by Steampowered

loufah wrote:
Steampowered wrote:Well not everyone can afford amtrak, and not everyone lives in Philly, what if you live in morrisville or 2 or 3 stops west?
On Saturday nights, there's hourly service to Trenton which meets hourly NJT service, with a 15- or 20-minute layover. Are there other times of day that you'd like improved?
This might be new, but usually its been like 40-60 mins . I remenber last year there was a 2 hr layover from 10, 12:15.(to philly)
  by Patrick Boylan

http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/tre.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says Sat NJT arrives 11:44pm, SEPTA's 12:01am departure is Sun night-Mon morn only, so Sat night-Sun morn there's a 1:17 wait till the 1:01 am train, which however is an improvement from what I my foggy remembery tells me, I think that train, or its follower 1:47am, or both, were Sat night-Sun morn additions where once upon a time there were no trains. Or perhaps the former Sat night-Sun morn 1:01am got moved to 1:17 am, which the transferring passengers on NJT's 12:44am arrival would see as an improvement.

But otherwise schedule says weekends NJT arrives 44 45 or 47 after the hour, SEPTA leaves on or a minute after the hour. Other direction SEPTA arrives 34 or 35 after the hour, NJT leaves 54 or 56 after the hour, again with a pesky Sun only Sat only last 2 trains, at least the Sat of which, as I mention above, I don't think existed a few years ago.

Does anybody have last year's schedule, or any schedule that shows 40 minute Trenton waits? Still noodling my memory, I think there was a time in the 1990's when SEPTA Trenton Sun was every 2 hours, or maybe it was Chestnut Hill East, and in the 1990's I hung out frequently in Mt Airy.
  by iamapokemonlegend

i just want to know why the wawa extension is taking so long to complete. i assumed that expanded service is something septa should be pushing for
  by Quinn

iamapokemonlegend wrote:i just want to know why the wawa extension is taking so long to complete. i assumed that expanded service is something septa should be pushing for
...Because money is needed to fund it.