• Septa wants requests on how to improve service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Amtrak7

Steampowered wrote:TVMs at all stations, hello its 2013, waiting in line for a ticket, or paying the fine on the train is lame. Heck do what NJT is doing smartphone etickets.
I have a feeling the latter (smartphone tickets) will come before the former.
  by R3 Passenger

Amtrak7 wrote:I have a feeling the latter (smartphone tickets) will come before the former.
Well, with most new smartphones coming with NFC chips in them, and apps like Google Wallet, I think that smartphone ticketing will be rendered moot by the new NPT.

On a side note, I can't believe I just said something positive about NPT. I think today would be a good day to call out sick...
  by CNJGeep

scotty269 wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:Genuine express service would be nice.
Elaborate?
A train that for example only makes stops from Cornwells to Trenton, or from Lansdale to Doylestown, or WT to Neshaminy. Not a train that skips three-five stops.
  by 25Hz

Only problem is express trains run at the expense of increased service at the skipped stations. Slow trains that make all stops are better than less trains at some stations, that is unless you're trying to kill off those stations.
  by morris&essex4ever

Just because a station sees less service than another doesn't mean it is trying to be killed off.
  by ExCon90

25Hz wrote:Only problem is express trains run at the expense of increased service at the skipped stations. Slow trains that make all stops are better than less trains at some stations, that is unless you're trying to kill off those stations.
You need to consider how many passengers benefit from faster service at busier stations vs. how many passengers use the skipped stations. All stations are not equal.
  by zebrasepta

Why hasn't anyone realized that you should just ignore 25hz's comments?
The only things I've seen him say are stupid crap
  by morris&essex4ever

zebrasepta wrote:Why hasn't anyone realized that you should just ignore 25hz's comments?
The only things I've seen him say are stupid crap
Is it any wonder why he got banned for a few weeks?!
  by Steampowered

i emailed them about lame Trenton connections, and often 2 hrs of no service, they just blamed Amtrak ,and said there was nothing they could do. This is why the trenton NJT line ,should be extended to 30th st, why cant septa do , what NJT does all the time.
  by sammy2009

I think SEPTA should have frequent service on the Trenton line on the weekends. Every hour is a lil retarted to me. They can make it ever 30-40 mins. Crazy i've never rode a Trenton Line express train. Even coming from NY at 2pm and getting to Trenton for the 4:15 connection. I just dont understand , you would think they would start a express train from either direction at like 4pm. but they dont. I hate the fact that it be so many ppl connecting from NJT to get to Philly and they only have two cars open on a 4 car train . Really pisses me off and everyone has to squeeze into the train. No sense of having a 4 car train with two open.
  by loufah

Steampowered wrote:This is why the trenton NJT line ,should be extended to 30th st, why cant septa do , what NJT does all the time.
The problem with this is that NJT's NEC line trains are around 9 or 10 cars long and have two or three times the number of ticket collectors as a Philly-to-Trenton SEPTA train, so doing as you suggest would either come with a lot of overhead cost or require the train to be shortened/lengthened at Trenton or Morrisville, adding delay and probably not making it any better for existing SEPTA Trenton line riders who continue to NYC. And, adding 50 minutes each way to an existing NYC-to-Trenton train to make the trip to Philly would mean NJT would have to add more trains to maintain the same level of service to its intra-NJ customers. It may make sense for a handful of NJT trains to run from Philly to NYC, possibly at the fringes of morning or evening rush.
  by loufah

sammy2009 wrote:Crazy i've never rode a Trenton Line express train. Even coming from NY at 2pm and getting to Trenton for the 4:15 connection. I just dont understand , you would think they would start a express train from either direction at like 4pm.
My experience is that half of the 30th-to-Trenton line riders are local within Philly city limits. Having a Trenton-to-30th express, if that's what you're proposing, would ignore a lot of riders.
sammy2009 wrote:I hate the fact that it be so many ppl connecting from NJT to get to Philly and they only have two cars open on a 4 car train . Really pisses me off and everyone has to squeeze into the train. No sense of having a 4 car train with two open.
Sometimes they only have one car open and people stand, and there've been a couple times on outbound morning trains when we've been chased out of an open 3rd car so they can close it up. I can only guess the reason for this, but it may be that on older trains, having 3 open cars means that the two crew members don't have enough time to raise and lower 4 or 5 traps as well as collect tickets. I see little justification for chasing passengers out of an open 2nd car into a single standing-room-only Silverliner V when two ticket collectors are on hand, which has happened at Trenton a couple times.
  by R3 Passenger

loufah wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:Crazy i've never rode a Trenton Line express train. Even coming from NY at 2pm and getting to Trenton for the 4:15 connection. I just dont understand , you would think they would start a express train from either direction at like 4pm.
My experience is that half of the 30th-to-Trenton line riders are local within Philly city limits. Having a Trenton-to-30th express, if that's what you're proposing, would ignore a lot of riders.
A few years ago, I recall SEPTA trying a Trenton-Philly express train during the Flower Show. I don't recall exactly what the result was, but it obviously was not successful enough to warrant testing on a schedule. Besides, there is already a train that expresses between Trenton and 30th Street. It's called the Keystone.
Steampowered wrote:i emailed them about lame Trenton connections, and often 2 hrs of no service, they just blamed Amtrak ,and said there was nothing they could do. This is why the trenton NJT line ,should be extended to 30th st, why cant septa do , what NJT does all the time.
SEPTA and NJT will not expand beyond the political borders of their state unless the service was doing so prior to the point where the service was assumed by the state.
Besides, NJT trains once did operate beyond Trenton into Philadelphia. The trains were operated by NJT under contract with Amtrak. They were called Clockers. I believe that they eventually became what are now the Princeton super-expresses. It was discontinued because (if I am understanding correctly) the service was not used by enough riders between Philly and Trenton.

What the Trenton Line could use more than anything now is one earlier train, both on weekends and on weekdays. There is a real market there that would use those timeslots. Many other lines have trains earlier than this too.
  by Steampowered

loufah wrote:
Steampowered wrote:This is why the trenton NJT line ,should be extended to 30th st, why cant septa do , what NJT does all the time.
The problem with this is that NJT's NEC line trains are around 9 or 10 cars long and have two or three times the number of ticket collectors as a Philly-to-Trenton SEPTA train, so doing as you suggest would either come with a lot of overhead cost or require the train to be shortened/lengthened at Trenton or Morrisville, adding delay and probably not making it any better for existing SEPTA Trenton line riders who continue to NYC. And, adding 50 minutes each way to an existing NYC-to-Trenton train to make the trip to Philly would mean NJT would have to add more trains to maintain the same level of service to its intra-NJ customers. It may make sense for a handful of NJT trains to run from Philly to NYC, possibly at the fringes of morning or evening rush.
Even if you still did have to change trains, always have it so westbounds trains to philly always have a connection.
  by Matthew Mitchell

While the Philadelphia ridership of the Clockers was much less than the NJ ridership, the reason NJ Transit took over direct operation was so they could use their own equipment (once they had enough) and significantly increase seating capacity. Before then, NJT paid Amtrak for part of the service costs in exchange for Amtrak accepting NJT passes (not single trip tickets) on those specific trains.