Railroad Forums 

• SC-44 Siemens Charger Locomotives

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1436473  by DutchRailnut

cause either way you need to change whole railroad plus some 1000 MU cars , MTA inherited the railroads as they were, two different systems, one PRR other NYC.
 #1436492  by ExCon90

... and no foreknowledge at the time that the two systems would ever be part of one operation; NYC and PRR built them with their own resources decades before there was any thought of government financial support for transportation. (NYC claimed that underrunning third rail was less susceptible to snow and ice interference; I don't think I've ever seen an explanation of why PRR preferred overrunning third rail with protection boards for the Penn Station electrification, and I think the Market Street Subway-Elevated in Philadelphia was the only other example of underrunning third rail. Of course the NYC electrification came a few years later than the PRR, but the Market St. El dates from 1908.)
 #1440999  by Fan Railer

As I understand it, there was a battery fire on one of the IDOT locomotives last night on 342 (15). As per Siemens, all Charger locomotives are to be grounded until further notice.
 #1441041  by D.Carleton

We've only just begun the investigation to find the root cause. All I can say for right now is the batteries did not do a Samsung nor was it a problem with the electrical/charging system.
 #1441195  by ApproachMedium

Probably just a faulty battery. But because these are all new, all of the stock will need to be checked for defects.
 #1441237  by DutchRailnut

could you point out on a battery were those components are ??
 #1441248  by D.Carleton

electricron wrote:Is the mechanical isssue related to the alternator mounting, or drive chain or belt mounting, or something entirely different?
Something entirely different. For more detail you'll have to talk to the people who sign my paycheck.
 #1441268  by ApproachMedium

electricron wrote:Is the mechanical isssue related to the alternator mounting, or drive chain or belt mounting, or something entirely different?
Locomotives dont have all that kinda stuff. It aint like the alternator in your car. its bolted to the crankshaft.
 #1441283  by mtuandrew

The flux capacitor broke down, the Libyan terrorists just don't have good plutonium anymore.
Attachments:
Meme added by Site Admin. Awesome.
Meme added by Site Admin. Awesome.
15253493_10157880660885046_5760378227482583383_n.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Site Admin added meme in recognition of awesome post!