Railroad Forums 

• Sandusky OH to Hackettstown NJ

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#759207  by cruiser939

How is it that this thread is still alive? Sully, can you please carpet bomb this with your B-52?
 #760023  by TREnecNYP

drewh wrote:
Amtrak: $181.00
NJ Transit: $11.75
I doubt it would save that much and with or without luggage would certainly be much more hassle. Fare from Hoboken is $8.75 plus the PATH $1.75. Total $10.50.

Fare from NWK North Broad is $7.25 plus the PATH $1.75 (which requires a change at Journal Square), plus NJT light rail $1.35. Total $10.35.

Not worth it to save between $1.25 and $1.40.

Also if you can get someone to pick you up, just consider using Dover (end of the electric service from NYC). Its less than 20 miles from Hackettstown and has much more frequent service.

I also suggested the light rail from newark penn. The LRV has room for bags (though why anyone would travel heavy these days aside from moving is beyond me), and it only goes between newark penn & broad street. The fares i see for today one way are 145-136. 2 bucks for light rail ticket bringing the max total to 147. Lots of trains, save money, fun, no nyp madness. I used to be a trip planner for a living. ;)

- A
 #760201  by fishmech

That reminds me, Newark Penn is an Amtrak stop!
Sandusky, OH - Newark, NJ on Amtrak = $136 for the 30 Capitol Limited Sandusky to Pittsburgh and connecting to the 42 Pennsylvanian to Newark! 16 hours
Then, Light Rail to Broad street and take a train from there to Hackettstown: $8.60 and 2 hours

Total: $144 and 18 hours!

Then again, a few days a week you can instead take the Lake Shore Limited from Sandusky to NYP for $73!
 #761687  by TREnecNYP

fishmech wrote:That reminds me, Newark Penn is an Amtrak stop!
Sandusky, OH - Newark, NJ on Amtrak = $136 for the 30 Capitol Limited Sandusky to Pittsburgh and connecting to the 42 Pennsylvanian to Newark! 16 hours
Then, Light Rail to Broad street and take a train from there to Hackettstown: $8.60 and 2 hours

Total: $144 and 18 hours!

Then again, a few days a week you can instead take the Lake Shore Limited from Sandusky to NYP for $73!

LSL got their diners back recently according to some forum post on here or elsewhere. Mite wanna try that if it works schedule wise. I myself don't much care for former NYC routes. :wink:

- A