• Question About the Circus Train/GMS

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by R36 #9346

13:41. It should he at HAROLD by now, being handed over to Amtrak. Saw it at Queens Village and passed it… twice! Once at Jamaica, and again around Forest Hills!
  by R36 #9346

14:35. Train just passed through NYP on track 12. See you next year!
  by wilsonpooch

what Kind of motive power pulled it through Penn? Diesels are a no-no.. just wondering...
  by Jayjay1213

When the LIRR assembled the train, who performs the brake test? Train crew, car knockers, or circus personel?
  by SwingMan

Another first (At least in a while) was skipping their trip to MSG, so the train had to be put together in one piece. They caused some massive traffic thanks to some arogant drivers.
  by SwingMan

wilsonpooch wrote:what Kind of motive power pulled it through Penn? Diesels are a no-no.. just wondering...

I believe Amtrak HHP8s are in charge after Harold..
  by Shavano

2 HHP8s took over the train at Harold, LI power pulled clear to Hunterspoint Ave. and then returned to Jamaica. Usual lashup of 4 1500s with an additional chase unit that followed.

Leaving the Garden Mitchell and proceeding west, then the power sitting in HPA.

Last edited by Shavano on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by SlackControl

Nice shots. Did anyone get any video of the train pulling west?
  by hrfcarl

Out of curiosity, has Amtrak & LIRR ever considered using DM engines to allow the exchange closer to GMS? With their better track record, I would guess Amtrak DMs could be used with a LIRR pilot? Remember, just asking if ever considered and what such an arrangement would need (personnel & equipment).
  by SwingMan

hrfcarl wrote:Out of curiosity, has Amtrak & LIRR ever considered using DM engines to allow the exchange closer to GMS? With their better track record, I would guess Amtrak DMs could be used with a LIRR pilot? Remember, just asking if ever considered and what such an arrangement would need (personnel & equipment).
I don't believe the P32ACDMs can run through the Hudson River Tunnels without having a electric motor pulling them. Also, Amtrak doesn't have enough P32s to run that and run their regular trains, so that also kills that.

The current system has worked for many years. Until something changes (Possibly having NJT DMs in the future?), I think they are fine with how the current operation works.
  by SlackControl

Changing power in Harold works, because there is a lot of space to work. The tracks are spread out, so the crews can work without too much worry of trains on adjacent tracks. Plus, you can do this power swap without tying up traffic too much, as there are a lot of options to route other trains around the track the circus train is on. The MP15s are ideal for handling the circus train too, as opposed to a passenger engine, as you can control the train a lot better. The visibility in the cabs of the M15s is great for switching too.
  by hammerfang

what does the LIRR charge the circus for the use of their time, equiptment, people, and track?
  by SlackControl

hammerfang wrote:what does the LIRR charge the circus for the use of their time, equiptment, people, and track?
Must be a pretty penny, it's a high profile move with a lot of resources used. Usually 5 engines, two full train crews, management on hand, all the police forces that are used for traffic control, and there's probably track and signal maintainers on hand, and maintenance of equipment forces at the ready to ensure minimal delays.