• Question About the Circus Train/GMS

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SlackControl

So at this point does anyone have an update as far as the train's location or approximate arrival time in Garden City?
  by R36 #9346

11:32 Just passed over HAROLD. Saw TC82 there, but nothing else unusual.
  by Irishiron

11:49 Handoff completed at Lane from NS. Making air (or at least the HHP's are trying). Should be 5mins or so until they head east.
  by R36 #9346

12:14: Standing by at 60th Road. Nothing unusual yet.
  by R36 #9346

SlackControl wrote:Where is Lane?
IINM, Lane is over by Newark Airport rail station.
  by mirrodie

AS of 1252, is it on Long Island rails as of yet?
  by mirrodie

well I am on the way as of 1410, getting kids and off to Clinton, hope to see it.

godspeed
  by SlackControl

Good timing. Got to Garden City around 2:10pm and the train passed the station at about 2:40pm. Regular set up with 4 mp15s on the front, 59 cars for the red unit, and a single 1500 chasing the train. I watched it move mostly past Garden City station, then caught it at the Clinton Rd crossing. This year they pulled the entire train onto the double track portion of the secondary, ran the engines around, and shover thee tire train the rest of the way. I left at that point. Might go back later for the animal walk.

Looking forward to seeing the entire train leave in one move next week, with no show at MSG this year.
  by Amtrak7

Heard on the Long Island Bus channel that there are (bus) delays right now due to the circus train.
  by lilbluefoxie

Amtrak7 wrote:Heard on the Long Island Bus channel that there are (bus) delays right now due to the circus train.
yea, they were all diverted down the side streets near the tracks
  by mirrodie

back and just going through images now.

Im glad I finally got a change to see the actual process. The 4 engines pulled the train way up to the switch just west of Quentin Roosevelt Ave, then the 4 MPs cut loose, ran west arond the train and joined with the chase engine and shoved the train east of Roosevelt Ave. all the way back to the track stop behind the military housing.

Then it pulled forward the entire train incrementally, leaving cars between the RR Xings, all behinf the military housing and up to Roosevelt and west of Roosevelt as well.

Very interesting train and folks as well.

And was glad to run into a fellow aviation spotter that I hadnt seen in a while as well.
  by CFDChris237

Mario it was good seeing you!!!! Im sending you everything now, check your mailbox :)
  by SwingMan

It was kind of messy to start. I'm not sure what happened, but it pulled onto the south track, and then they ended up pushing it back and taking the north track down. I'm still unsure how that happened as there were guys down there 20-30 minutes prior to the trains arrival, and it still ended up on the wrong track?

Then they did something that I'll say was quite smart. Instead of breaking the train up, they ran the engines to the back and pushed it down. Saved some time in the end and got traffic flowing quicker.

One funny thing was they asked to have the chaser engine to push THE ENTIRE TRAIN down..I'm not sure if it was a joke, but talk about getting a laugh..
  by mirrodie

Odd I ran into this guy while catching the train. Last time Id seen him he was into jets ;)

Great seeing you again Chris. Gonna check out the vid now. Come Sunday AM I know my son will enjoy it