• Question About the Circus Train/GMS

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by SwingMan

With the Garden-Mitchell Secondary sitting covered in past storms, what would happen if the circus train can't get down there? Conditions were really bad last year, even when they got to the rails. If the line is too treacherous, would they have the circus somehow rescheduled? Has it happened in the past?
  by LongIslandTool

The only place snow would be a problem are at crossings where the flanges can be filled with ice. The Track Department will clear them out using picks. The circus would contract someone to clear the driveways, but the snow would not affect the trains.
  by hammerfang

what does the railroad charge the circus for moving the equipment?
  by MJW349

While on this topic, do we know when the circus train comes this year?
  by num1hendrickfan

lirr415 wrote:With the Garden-Mitchell Secondary sitting covered in past storms, what would happen if the circus train can't get down there? Conditions were really bad last year, even when they got to the rails. If the line is too treacherous, would they have the circus somehow rescheduled? Has it happened in the past?
Circus Train came in March last year, after the massive Nor'easter that caused extensive flooding and tree damage to the surrounding area. Was on Monday, March 15 2010 that the train came in ( literally after the storm ).
There were no problems on the Secondary at that time, although it was windy and cold ( not too wet ).

Train should come around Monday, March 14th most likely.
  by LongIslandTool

Contrary to the way the place is presently being run, snow, rain and poor weather will have no effect on the movement of the circus train.

The LIRR's management has become so poor at serving the public that the Circus did inquire as to if it should make alternate plans this year.
  by BobLI

Heres an interesting question. When was the last time that the secondary had a tie replacement program?
  by mirrodie

Another question: I know that mitchell field secondary is around the Roosevelt Field Mall area and ahve driven over the tracks as well as did a tiny bit of exploring behind the Childrens museum.

I happen to have the Monday off and watch my kids on Mondays. if did does come on a Monday, would it be midday or late afternoon (after the rush?) and could someone point out on a map, where I could go bring the kids to safe?
  by RRJS3

The train came around 3 PM last year if I'm not mistaken, though it does vary. The former Clinton Road station (now a firehouse) is a nice place to watch the train go by, usually a decent size group of people there. If you want to see switching and that sort of thing, you're better off going over to the Quentin Roosevelt Ave crossing. There's enough parking near Clinton Road, and I would think that the same holds true for QR Ave...though I'm not positive.

A word of caution...the police block off the crossings in the area when the train is approaching, which causes a traffic nightmare. So the earlier you get there, the easier of a time you'll have.
  by Amtrak7

BobLI wrote:Heres an interesting question. When was the last time that the secondary had a tie replacement program?
I don't think the LIRR would maintain the secondary beyond what is necessary to safely move the annual 60-car train. (unless it's short electric portion is used to turn trains)
  by Mr rt

With kids in toe, Quentin Roosevelt Ave is a better place, because after the train gets split there the animals come out & do their walk to the coliseum. You can stand on the sidewalk where they'll pass within a few feet of you.
  by SlackControl

Do they still walk the animals in the evening or at night? I remember my parents took me to see this when I was younger. It was pretty cool to see all of the huge animals being walked right infront of us. The most memorable was seeing the elephants walking and how incredibly soft their steps are despite them being such large animals. You didn't hear a large thud and the ground didn't shake, but what you did hear was a light brushing sound as their feet drag on the ground just at the end of each step. Hopefully you and the kids get a chance to watch this, they'll have a great time as I'm sure you will too.
  by matthewsaggie

They are making there way north towards you. I saw both circus trains today. The Red train was in Greensboro, NC and the Blue train was in Raleigh, NC.
  by mirrodie

Are they opn the island and arriving today? or Feb 15?

If I can I'd like to take my kids today. Otherwise can have my wife bring them tomorrow.

Any leads much appreciated. Thanks.
  by RRJS3

First show at the Coliseum is Wednesday, March 16th. The train will most likely arrive on Monday the 14th.