Railroad Forums 

• Official Cape Cod Central Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#999012  by masscoastalfan

Reader#108 wrote:Ah, I have to disagree.

I was told about the design for the loco and it is going into G&U scheme black and yellow.

Probably over the winter.....can't wait to see it, will be a solid look from what was described.
Kind of a shame. the GU paint job is very boring. would have looked a lot better in red
 #999170  by masscoastalfan

No Really seems to know if it's staying or not. It'd be kinda weird to have an f unit not only lettered for the wrong railroad but not painted in the right colors on ccc. I like the f unit, but unless there is a 2nd one purchased, I don't think its very practical. Its cool to see on the train, but I think the geeps make more sense.
 #999223  by masscoastalfan

As far as i know its staying on the cape until spring so it can be painted. GU cant use it in freight service. The FRA said they can't. Its down on the cape for some much needed mechanical work. It runs, but its engine block not in the best shape. It needs a lot of body work too. Lots of rust.
 #1004922  by SkiScorcher88

A new G&U F-Unit paint scheme??!!! :D I have to say, with the great job the guys at the G&U did color scheming the EMD units, I'm sure the F-Unit's paint job will look stellar. They made a combined a nice blend of the old 1001 & #9 paint scheme w/ a modern twist- sort of like what the LA&L did out in Upstate NY. Trust me, I'm sure it'll look good
 #1010580  by ebtmikado

Boston-Hyannis service this summer?

Recently, I saw a photo in Railpace Magazine, of track crews working in West Barnstable, to prepare for Boston-Hyannis service this summer.
I rode through service in 1989, the last year that the New York-Hyannis train operated, but knew nothing of this deal.

Is it true? Will it be T trains?

Sounds exciting!

Lee
 #1010913  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ebtmikado wrote:Boston-Hyannis service this summer?

Recently, I saw a photo in Railpace Magazine, of track crews working in West Barnstable, to prepare for Boston-Hyannis service this summer.
I rode through service in 1989, the last year that the New York-Hyannis train operated, but knew nothing of this deal.

Is it true? Will it be T trains?

Sounds exciting!

Lee
See here: http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/home2/ ... &Itemid=30
Tom Cahir, administrator of the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, told his advisory board Jan. 18 that a consultant group continues to provide “good news” about the potential of a seasonal service via the MBTA’s Lakeville-Middleboro station. This would include a couple of trains into Hyannis on Friday night, a “day-tripper” service on Saturday from Boston, and two return trips Sunday.
CCC trains to Middleboro station for a commuter rail transfer. And possibly some ticketing coordination. But that's it. Needs approval from the state to use Middleboro platform, and a decision to commit small spending for a 5-year program of track maintenance to get the speeds back up to par. Needs to be a call on that soon because they would do the first year's repair work in Spring as soon as the ground thaws.

The twist that makes this sound a lot more promising than their past ignored attempts of doing it is that the Cape Regional Transit Authority is willing to front the first year's worth of capital costs to get service running with $0 state contribution. The Cape Chamber of Commerce is also willing to commit resources out of its tourism promo budget to advertise the service. Of course, state would have to sign on for years 2-5 of the track program, but they'd be much more reluctant to pull the plug on existing service so the hope is that the economic "stimulus" offer from CCRTA and CCCC is enough to entice them into something they can't be fickle about.

We ought to know really soon...a month at most...if EOT chair Richard Davey is going to grant approval. If he doesn't punt again then it looks like it's really gonna happen. Best you can say is that it's a very clever pitch from the regional authorities to sort of turn the tables on the whole notion of "stimulus" with this offer to front the money.
 #1011269  by atlantis

As an admitted cynic in this case, I'll have to say I remain skeptical of this so-called development until I see further evidence to the contrary.
About two weeks ago, Tom Cahir was on the local NPR affiliate WCAI as a guest on their locally produced program, "The Point." The topic was about improving the Cape's public transit in general with the focus of possibly bringing back some kind of seasonal rail service this summer.
I was able to call and get on the air and point out to Mr. Cahir that the state kept dodging rail service to the Cape and refused to support Cape Cod Central's feeder rail proposal, which would have run seven days a week from Middleboro MBTA to Sandwich, with weekend service to Hyannis and West Barnstable.
Mr Cahir, the railroad advocate, admitted to me (on the air, no less) that he was the one who stopped the plan citing "insufficient ridership."
Yet when another caller attempted to back up my statement by pointing out that the 1980's Cape Cod and Hyannis Railroad was removed due to funding cuts, not ridership, Mr. Cahir, the railroad advocate said that it was NOT ridership.
Also, Mr. Cahir, the railroad advocate, talked about how popular the bike path is from the wasted Falmouth rail station to North Falmouth. (Note, the word "wasted" was my usage, not his.)
During the early part of my conversation with Mr. Cahir, the railroad advocate, I used the word "wasted" in reference to the 'stolen' portion of the Falmouth rail line.
(the state also promised in the early 2000's, the rail line would remain and that any bike path would have to run alongside.) But since there aren't enough bike paths on the Cape, the state decided to favor the recreational path over a revenue-producing rail line anyway, and put the money towards the non-revenue producing bike path.
I've always felt that the Cape's transportation policy favored bike paths over rail service anyway.
Mr. Cahir also said there would be concerns by abbuters of the rail line from increased train service. i was able to point out to him that those people chose of their own free will to buy property next to the rail line that's been there for over 150 years.
Several years ago, several rail advocates and myself were chastised by a few individuals because we questioned Mr. Cahir's support of rail to the Cape.
When the Falmouth line was about to be destroyed, and Mr. Cahir made statements favoring the bike path, we were told, "Oh he HAD to say that."
Well boys and girls, he HAD to say that because (sadly) it was true.
I not trying to make my point as a diss against Mr. Cahir, but as we all know, it's important to take a stance for one's beliefs, especially if that person is a public figure and makes his/her beliefs known to the public.
In this case, Eric Turkington got his way, plain and simple. I just hope that the state and the folks who want rail have the gumption to stand up to the opposition. Only this way, we can "save what rail lines on Cape Cod are left,"and move forward.
 #1012952  by Clean Cab

We Capers hope it will come to be. It's been over 15 years since the last Amtrak (funded that is) train left the Cape for Providence.