Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#995696  by steamer69

BR4 wrote: Maybe it's time for younger members to get involved and vote out the old gaurd.
Now that is a full 7 course meal for thought. Point very well taken, and taken under advisement.
 #995701  by Reading 900

I have often thought of how great it would be to have 2 B&M F7's running on the Conway line, and it's gonna happen! As a member of 470 club I am please that management has acted to preserve the 4268 as an operating engine. It makes it usefull, rather than a shell to just take up space and need paint. Purchasing a donor loco means this is gonna happen, a positive first step in the old adage "Gonna get it done!"
As for the 501, it's been discussed to death hundreds of times over. When someone comes up with a million bucks cash and their own railroad to run it on, then it'll happen. Ok, who's first?
 #995705  by drvmusic

Reading 900 wrote:I have often thought of how great it would be to have 2 B&M F7's running on the Conway line, and it's gonna happen! As a member of 470 club I am please that management has acted to preserve the 4268 as an operating engine. It makes it usefull, rather than a shell to just take up space and need paint. Purchasing a donor loco means this is gonna happen, a positive first step in the old adage "Gonna get it done!"
As for the 501, it's been discussed to death hundreds of times over. When someone comes up with a million bucks cash and their own railroad to run it on, then it'll happen. Ok, who's first?
Well said! As a HUGE fan of 4266/8/5 I'm thrilled! 4265 is going to be a movie theater (pretty darn cool and hope they get the funding to do that), so to have 2 of the B&M F7s going while they still can will be wonderful!

501 is beautiful too, and maybe someday it'll happen, but for right now it seems that the EMD fixup is more realistic. Looking forward to watching the progress!
 #995774  by ericofmaine

MEC407 wrote:... especially if they're contemplating spending money to stuff-and-mount a New Hampshire Northcoast engine.
Hmm, don't recall ever saying anything about stuffing and mounting a NHN GP-9... let's put those rumors to bed now, when the transfer is complete, 1757 will meet the torch.

Eric
 #995920  by p42thedowneaster

I just said it would be cool to stuff and mount 1757. You had already mentioned that the 470 club was not interested in that idea so I apologize for being misleading...but what if CSRR or the Bartlett Roundhouse crew considered doing it? There is a real interest it seems in preserving certain locomotives "dead or alive".

Its a shame we don't have an indoor railroad museum to house the restored equipment like the state of Pennsylvania.
 #995930  by steamer69

Reader#108 wrote:well, finally, at least we have a concrete answer about something.
Only because it involves Frankinengine.
p42thedowneaster wrote:Its a shame we don't have an indoor railroad museum to house the restored equipment like the state of Pennsylvania
If I recall, that museum is run by the state, but assitsed by a very strong volunteer corps and "Friends of the Museum" group. They also see the benifit of equipment stabilization. We up here just let stuff rot....before jumping all over me for that....it's not directed at any one group. No one state up here has seen the benifit of taking on such a large responsibility, as well as consolidation of a fragmented collection would be almost impossible (IMO).
 #996085  by NNR

an idea with the 501 what about cutting open the tender an puting an a diesel generator and power each axle with a traction motor or an eco friendly genset in the tender this way the 501 can operate for 1/4 of the price of returning it to steam plus the insurance would be cheaper and you wouldn't need a group with steam knowledge to do the restoration. Just a thought Ill get my torch.
 #996093  by Reading 900

Question for Bartlett Roundhouse Club. IIRC the State of NH prohibits any disturbance of the soil in the area around the roundhouse due to pollution from previous rail use. Would the only way to get equipment into the roundhouse be by truck?

Looking forward to those 2 567's going up the Notch. Losing one gp9 carcass to the scrapper is not the end of the world.
 #996179  by ericofmaine

Reading 900 wrote:Would the only way to get equipment into the roundhouse be by truck?
If I recall correctly, there is still one track going into the roundhouse.

Eric
 #996186  by merrman

Eric, you are correct. Track still goes into stall 2. Asfar as I know, plans are to eventually reconnect the track into
stall 1. Rails are still intact inside stalls 1 & 2. Stalls 2 and 4 have had the rails emoved, and there are no plans to
restore them.
 #996218  by Reader#108

Hmmmm.......I think I like the idea of dropping the Diesel into the tender.

Are there any other examples of this operation in service right now?

If this is the case......nothing a nice smoke machine couldn't fix up the stack to give the desired effect....
 #996225  by p42thedowneaster

Perhaps they could leave 501 unpowered and just doublehead her with a real diesel locomotive. I know I have seen photos of her being moved up and down "the hill" by 7470 in a past railfan's day event. I imagine one could even install a low capacity steam boiler to provide enough volume to sound the whistle for crossings.