• Question About the Circus Train/GMS

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by lilbluefoxie

When will the dates and times be announced for when the train is coming this year? Hopefully its not late like last year.
  by RandomRailfan

Saw a "track inspection vehicle" today going by at Garden City, and was wondering if today was Circus Train day?
  by SwingMan

RandomRailfan wrote:Saw a "track inspection vehicle" today going by at Garden City, and was wondering if today was Circus Train day?
Nope, March 14th is the scheduled day for its arrival. They are probably just checking things out so things will go smoothly. It also just rained a lot last night so the ground/road bed could be in bad shape.
  by Mr rt

In late February they removed all the Gons that were stored on the branch.
  by mirrodie

Thanks for the LICM link.

Im confused. The train comes in and I guess it must park somewhat east of that San Quentin Rd, right? Which puts it behind the Museum Row complex, right?

And the train should arrive sometime after 230? But the LICm shows an Animal walk, listed from 6-9 PM so perhaps it may arrive closer to 6 PM?

Lastly, how does this all go down? I am envisioning this but can't see where the animals will walk. The reason I ask is that the LICM is charging $$ for the animal walk. Wondering how and why? Like do they set up bleachers or can one see it all without paying the LICM?

I cant get there until maybe 330-430 so I gather by that time, it would have already passed Clinton/Quentin rds. But I am sure the kids will be fine with seeing any of it. That said, I just looked at you tube vids of the circ train pulled by the LIRR, all taken from Clinton or GC. Nothing east of that, which is why I am looking for the best place to be.
  by mirrodie

Tired to edit although too late.

I re-read the earliest tips here and have more questions:

Does the train actually get pulled/pushed east of Quentin Roosevelt rd? And if so, are the animals walked south down to the Coliseum on W Rd, Railroad Ave and then Charles Lindenbergh, Ave N, Duncan, HAzelhurst or elsewhere. The reason i ask is that I found it suspect that the LICM is charging and listing in on its website. Hows' that work?

I cant get there until maybe 330-430 so I gather by that time, it would have already passed Clinton/Quentin rds. But I am sure the kids will be fine with seeing any of it. That said, I just looked at you tube vids of the circ train pulled by the LIRR, all taken from Clinton or GC.

Nothing east of that, which is why I am looking for the best place to be.

Thanks in advance for comments.
  by SwingMan

The train comes mid-afternoon. Anytime later than 3-4pm and they may have an issue with the rush hour.

They pull the train a little bit past Clinton Road, cut about half the train, then pull up to Quintin Roosevelt Boulivard.

They then cut the engines, run them to a crossover about 1/8th of a mile from Clinton, and push the first part of the train down behind the college/military housing. They also cut each bit for the crossings in between.

Last year they just used the follower MP15 to push the back half of the train down. They then cut the train a couple more times accordingly.

I hope this helps a little, that is the best way I can describe it after viewing it 8-9 times.
  by Irishiron

I'll post when NS makes the interchange to Amtrak at Lane.
  by Morisot

Elephants in front of the Long Island Children's Museum as they were being walked from the train to the Nassau Coliseum in March 2008.

The Museum creates a themed event to coincide with the animal walk. It is nice to go to, but you don't have to to see the elephants.

by CFDChris237

lilbluefoxie wrote:any word on what time about its gunna show up monday, I coulda sworn i made a topic about it already
I would say around 12-1pm. Get there before 11 just to be on the safe side, cuz you never know. Speaking of time, remember everyone set your clocks ahead!! :)
  by mirrodie

MOrisot, thanks! Very helpful as I had no idea the scale of the event. Much appreciated.
  by CFDChris237

anyone know what radio frequency they will be on?
  by Irishiron

Train movements are handled on the host railroad's channel. On-board, load-in, load-out, and general circus operations are on Ringling's frequency... 151.625.0MHz.