Railroad Forums 

• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#849931  by Otto Vondrak

dlagrua wrote:Regardless of all of the debate, the point that I am making is that you can bet that the City of Cape May will not allow a steam locomotive anywhere near the city at the present time and at any time in the future. We are part time residents of Cape May and we know how town politics operate there. They are very fussy about any real or perceived air pollution and I believe that even the historic Budd Cars are running bio-diesel because of this. Let's feel fortunate that the CMSL ran this year and has plans to be back in 2011.
Where did this steam discussion come from? Has CMSL stated this as a goal for future operations? Let's please stick to the discussion of current CMSL operations and leave the speculations alone.
 #850071  by glennk419

This discussion was based purely on a "it would be nice" suggestion from a poster further up in the thread. While I am certainly not a spokesperson for CMSL, I highly doubt that steam operations are anywhere in their strategic plans.
 #891673  by rwk

But, what about if, big if, one of those traveling 0-4-0 tanks (without tender) could visit once in a great while? Like Thomas did? Do they have any open window coaches that they could use IF they did "rent" a small steam locomotive for a special event? In an RDC, or a more modern streamlined coach from the 1950's, where the windows don't open steam would do no good as you would hardly be able to hear it unless you were in the first coach and they had the coach doors open up front. Any plans to run north of Rio Grande again like they did in 1996 and up where they ran to the County Zoo? Are they able to move equipment between Tuckahoe and Rio Grande but why can't they have service on that portion?
 #891680  by ChrisU

rwk wrote:But, what about if, big if, one of those traveling 0-4-0 tanks (without tender) could visit once in a great while? Like Thomas did? Do they have any open window coaches that they could use IF they did "rent" a small steam locomotive for a special event? In an RDC, or a more modern streamlined coach from the 1950's, where the windows don't open steam would do no good as you would hardly be able to hear it unless you were in the first coach and they had the coach doors open up front. Any plans to run north of Rio Grande again like they did in 1996 and up where they ran to the County Zoo? Are they able to move equipment between Tuckahoe and Rio Grande but why can't they have service on that portion?
Yes they can move equipment from Tuckahoe to Rio Grande.
 #891695  by glennk419

The track between Woodbine and Cape May Court House is passable and was used for equipment ferry moves at the beginning and end of last season's service. It also held up to the passage of cars that were being stored on the line over the past couple winters but needs additional rehabilitation before any regular passenger service could commence. IIRC, the reason for service not running from CMCH to Cape May had much more to do with the availability of suitable parking than track conditions.
 #891861  by rrbluesman

I sort of lost track of operations on the CMSL this year, I haven't heard much abbout it in a long time. How many days did the CMSL actually run this past season, Santa trains included? A recent post on this thread reminded me they were storing cars on the line last year, are they still storing anything?
 #891871  by glennk419

rrbluesman wrote:I sort of lost track of operations on the CMSL this year, I haven't heard much abbout it in a long time. How many days did the CMSL actually run this past season, Santa trains included? A recent post on this thread reminded me they were storing cars on the line last year, are they still storing anything?
CMSL ran passenger service between Rio Grande and Cape May Tuesday through Friday during the last three weeks of summer leading up to Labor Day with three round trips per day. Rider accounts, photos and videos of this service can be found on pages 3-6 of this thread. The Santa trains ran between Thanksgiving and Christmas and were extremely successful this past season with most trains SOLD OUT. They also added service on Thursday evenings in December with two round trips between Tuckahoe and Richland and even ran Sunday trains with extra runs for walk-up passengers.

As far as car storage, haven't heard or seen anything thus far and freight car storage seems to be off in general as the economy and rail shipments have improved over previous years.
 #892263  by rrbluesman

It sounds like, from what I read here, the freight business offered on CMSL's website has not developed then as a result of there being no costomer base, the condition of the track between Tuckahoe and Wodbine, or a combination of the two of them then. It's nice they offered some tourist runs this year and they proved to be successful ventures.
 #892274  by glennk419

rrbluesman wrote:It sounds like, from what I read here, the freight business offered on CMSL's website has not developed then as a result of there being no costomer base, the condition of the track between Tuckahoe and Wodbine, or a combination of the two of them then. It's nice they offered some tourist runs this year and they proved to be successful ventures.
The track between Tuckahoe and Woodbine was rehabbed a couple years ago and is in good shape and excursions have been run down that far. There were also a couple new sidings installed in Woodbine. The downturn of the economy has certainly been a factor. In addition, one of the prospective customers was the propane dealer in Woodbine however South Jersey Gas has been expanding their service in areas of the lower Cape which may also be affecting the demand for propane down that way.
 #892289  by south jersey trains

I would like to catch a train in Richland and go all the way to Cape May city,go to the beach,eat dinner and return later on in the evening.Thats what im am waiting for.Is there any news on the new stations to be built in Dorthy and Corbin City.I have not seen any construction happening in Dorthy.
 #892551  by dlagrua

Was down to Cape May yesterday and all was quiet as it should be at this time of year. We do expect that the CMSL will resume train service this summer and we wait for some positive news. At that time we can open up a CMSL 2011 thread so that we can be supportive of Tonys efforts.
 #915839  by PRSL1972

Any new news?
 #915878  by rrbluesman

The website has been updated since the last time I looked around Christmas. Regarding all schedules, it says this, "Note: information will be posted as it becomes available!
If you don't see it listed then it isn't available." I copied that directly from the site. I guess they don't have a planned start date yet.
 #916400  by BuddSilverliner269

rrbluesman wrote:The website has been updated since the last time I looked around Christmas. Regarding all schedules, it says this, "Note: information will be posted as it becomes available!
If you don't see it listed then it isn't available." I copied that directly from the site. I guess they don't have a planned start date yet.
I guess this is where guys come out of the woodwork to bash the operation and Tony Macrie, and cry about the lack of trains. Nevermind you , that they probably just chase the trains and not once paid to ride. I would love to see alot coming from this operation but money always seems to be the major issue and guess what? This is a common problem for all operations so be patient!!!! Sheesh ;)