Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#887867  by 1997eclipsegst

FinalMacGyver wrote: Do you still work for the RR?
Yes I am still with the railroad but took a transfer to a different craft, I am a signal maintainer in the Willard area. I hired on in 2008, made it thru training and was marked up for 3 months then furloughed for a year and a half. While I was furloughed I applied for other positions and was finally accepted for the signal maintainer job. It seems they are pretty busy around there now and "should" have a good chance to stay working without any furloughs hopefully.
 #887895  by Buckeye1

Are there any current, or former conductors on this forum that can describe a typically work week? What was your schedule/hours the last two weeks. Also, is anyone from Columbus, Ohio that works for CSX and can let me know what the common routes are. I am just trying to get a general idea of what I can expect as a conductor out of Columbus, Ohio. If I decide to do this, I am sure I will be on the road sooner or later. Thanks.
 #887914  by FinalMacGyver

the classes are 2 wks 7-3 (classroom) then 2 wks 11-7 (outside hands on) 3-11 last 2 wks (classroom) the bus is at the hotel an hr before class. make sure your at the hotel before 5pm on sun nite because thats when the bus leaves for orientation
Thanks for the info. I read through my packet again and did not see anything about the orientation on Sunday night. Can anyone else that is going down on the 17th chime in and see if you had anything in your packet?
 #887920  by drewg350

Do a simple search regarding what to wear to an interview and you'll find this topic has been covered numerous times in many, many posts. You'll also find a great deal of information regarding background checks if you search that topic too. Nobody will probably be able to guarantee you one way or the other if your arrest for simple assault will preclude you from being hired, but I do believe many will tell you it's going to certainly be a problem. Here's why: you'll find that in almost every hiring situation the RR will have hundreds, and in some cases, thousands of people applying for a small number of available positions (and with unemployment hovering near 10% they'll be more than normal). Now in all likelyhood the RR will be able to find ample quantities of applicants "without" any background problems who pass the various tests, physicals, interview, etc..and because of this, you will most likely be passed up. I know this sounds negative and I don't want to deter you from applying, in fact, I say definitely apply, but make sure your honest and open about this issue. Don't try and hide it or "forget" to mention it on your application. They will find out about it and you'll be rejected for sure. Unfortunately in almost every case the RR has a very large pool of applicants to choose from, and because of this they can be extremely "picky" about who they hire. In all likelyhood they will choose another applicant with a clean record over someone who has a conviction. Why would they take a chance when they don't have to? In your case they may worry your a hothead and might hit a customer which of coarse opens them to lawsuits. Please don't think I'm judging you or being a j__k, I'm just trying to honestly answer your questions from what I've learned while applying myself. Just remember to be honest with them and explain what happened. After that, it's out of your hands and there's nothing you can do. I hope it works out for you and you get hired on. Best of luck!!! Drew g
 #887926  by EWS1963

FinalMacGyver wrote:
the classes are 2 wks 7-3 (classroom) then 2 wks 11-7 (outside hands on) 3-11 last 2 wks (classroom) the bus is at the hotel an hr before class. make sure your at the hotel before 5pm on sun nite because thats when the bus leaves for orientation
Thanks for the info. I read through my packet again and did not see anything about the orientation on Sunday night. Can anyone else that is going down on the 17th chime in and see if you had anything in your packet?

Recieved my packet as well no info about a orientation on sunday evening....
 #887929  by FinalMacGyver

EWS1963 wrote:
FinalMacGyver wrote:

Recieved my packet as well no info about a orientation on sunday evening....
Well I should be down there a hour or two before 5 but thought maybe my packet was missing something. Good to know it wasn't just me.
 #887932  by FinalMacGyver

cdabbs21 wrote:I have a couple questions. I have a interview in a couple weeks for a conductor job I have been trying to get for a while now, can anyone tell me how they might want you to dress. Dress pants and dress shirt? or nice jeans and a button up fine? And I am worried about the background check they do if I get that far. I have a simple assult on my record. Happen 4 years ago. Nothing seriuos just a punch was thrown and I got in trouble for it. I have not been in trouble since. Will that hurt me? Thanks
here is a link discussing what to wear.
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... +interview
 #888092  by soontobecsxconductor

Thanks for the info. I read through my packet again and did not see anything about the orientation on Sunday night. Can anyone else that is going down on the 17th chime in and see if you had anything in your packet?[/quote]

Recieved my packet as well no info about a orientation on sunday evening....[/quote]

Well I should be down there a hour or two before 5 but thought maybe my packet was missing something. Good to know it wasn't just me.[/quote]

i went thru redi back in june and sun nite was the nite they gave us our bag of stuff like our hat and glasses i think it said something on the paper about if your flight arrived past like sometime around 3 or so they were taking you directly to the redi the orietation lasts about 3 hrs
 #888100  by blitzz2

It mentioned something about submitting an itenerary. I took that to mean if you were flying, hopefully i'm correct in my assessment. I'm driving down there and will arrive before 3pm on Sunday.

Anyone have any insight on that.
 #888127  by FinalMacGyver

blitzz2 wrote:It mentioned something about submitting an itenerary. I took that to mean if you were flying, hopefully i'm correct in my assessment. I'm driving down there and will arrive before 3pm on Sunday.

Anyone have any insight on that.
That is the way I read it that you only had to do the itenerary if you were flying. The wording makes it seem either way though. Still didn't see anything about the orientation though.
 #888226  by dirtydave

They will pay you 51 cents a mile up to the cost of a plane ticket, I am not sure if this will cover rail transportation.
 #888231  by StanTheMan

I just looked through my packet again and I did not see anything on an orientation in there. I'm going to call the point of contact that was included in the packet on Monday just to be on that safe side.
 #888242  by matawanaberdeen

dirtydave wrote:They will pay you 51 cents a mile up to the cost of a plane ticket, I am not sure if this will cover rail transportation.
Kind of ironic that was don't know if a railroad with cover rail transportation ain't it?
 #888247  by FinalMacGyver

StanTheMan wrote:I just looked through my packet again and I did not see anything on an orientation in there. I'm going to call the point of contact that was included in the packet on Monday just to be on that safe side.
Keep us in the loop, I'd want to know if I need to be down there earlier.