• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tkeiy609

i have heard people worried about Furloughs.....first off they furloughed me before i was even done with OJT and i was out for 16 months and once they did call me back i had to start OJT all over again plus 2 weeks back at the REDI. Now keep in mind that was during the peak of our current recession and if they are hiring right now i doubt any of you will have anything to worry about. For those waiting for a call or a letter...dont worry i was in panic mode and 3 days before i was to report i finally got a call.....be patient.
  by Buckeye1

I also am set to go the 17th, but posts like ews1963 make me question my decision to start a career for the railroad. I'm sure for most of you, this is something totally different than what you are used to. It is for me anyway. I wish csx would offer applicants visits to local yards, so we could see what really goes on and at least have some idea of typical day at work. We as applicants are risking a lot and making a big decision that may or may not work out. We have to quit our jobs leave everything behind to learn something completely new. It is a little nerve racking, especially when the turnover rate is so high. 8 of 10 is really shocking to me. You hope to like it, but you just don't know until you do it.
  by thehookmaster

Is there anyone out there that interviewed on Dec. 2, 2010 for the Cayce, SC conductors positions. My status changed to "Elligible for Offer" on Dec. 9, but nothing since. Was just wondering if anyone else that was there had found this forum and if so, have they heard anything yet. We were told that our REDI class was to start on Jan 17, 2011, but from what I have been reading here, it sure sounds like its already booked solid.
  by COEN77

StanTheMan wrote:

I just retired from the Navy last Saturday after 20 years. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the military and the railroad are very similar lifestyles as far as the working on holidays weekends and anytime day or night. I'm just glad my family is already used to me being away, it will make this job so much easier. Good luck to those of you that are still waiting and for those of you that have been selected for the 17 Jan class I'll see you there.
You'll do fine. CSX hires a lot of veterans they tend to adapt better to the lifestyle. That's an accurite assessment the military and railroad are similiar.
  by blitzz2

Received my packet in the email as well yesterday, pretty excited as well, yet a little apprehensive. Not that being away from home is a concern(when you were field artillery in the ARMY, you were gone quite a bit) guess the structure and environment will be a little intimidating at first. Also said I will have the 1st shift class, which is a plus. = more time to study. I'll probably head down on Sat. morning.

Any advice from people that have currently went through the program? outside of what is posted in the packet. Wife told me to study the Seaboard signals as I will be working out of N.Baltimore Oh. (anyone currently working there with any insight on whats going on out there, I know they don't start operations until April I was told.)
  by FinalMacGyver

blitzz2 wrote:Received my packet in the email as well yesterday, pretty excited as well, yet a little apprehensive. Not that being away from home is a concern(when you were field artillery in the ARMY, you were gone quite a bit) guess the structure and environment will be a little intimidating at first. Also said I will have the 1st shift class, which is a plus. = more time to study. I'll probably head down on Sat. morning.

Any advice from people that have currently went through the program? outside of what is posted in the packet. Wife told me to study the Seaboard signals as I will be working out of N.Baltimore Oh. (anyone currently working there with any insight on whats going on out there, I know they don't start operations until April I was told.)
I'm in the same boat. I'll be on 1st out of Willard, bout an hour east of you. I'm going to leave early Sunday morning for the drive down. I never could get a straight answer on what signals to study so I figure I'll wait till I get down so I don't study the wrong thing.
  by blitzz2

I was told to study the tall signals (seaboard) from guys out of F tower in fostoria.

Also can anyone tell me the differences in "direct hire" from anything else?
  by frank68

Congrats to all of you that are heading to REDI!! I am still waiting to hear for conductor position in Selkirk!! Hope I get the call for interview when it's time and go to Feb or March Class?? Hope all of you do well and keep us posted!!
  by frank68

Sorry, There was one thing I forgot to ask before. Does anyone know if or has anyone gotten contacted by HR before a job posting deadline before? Or do they let the deadline hit then start going over all of the application submissions I wonder?? The deadline for Selkirk is January 31st. so I am just waiting and and still hoping! Thanks again !
Last edited by frank68 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by JDM864

Is anyone going to the REDI center from Massachusetts?
  by 1997eclipsegst

To the guys hiring out in Willard and North Baltimore. You will both be running on seaboard signals. Basically working out of Willard there is 4 main pools: Willard to Chicago IL, Willard to Garrett IN, Willard to Toledo which are all seaboard signals and Willard to Cleveland which are old conrail signals. Then there is the yard in Willard. Most of the runs are pretty decent there. If you have any questions about any of it just ask. I used to work as a conductor out of Willard.
  by FinalMacGyver

1997eclipsegst wrote:To the guys hiring out in Willard and North Baltimore. You will both be running on seaboard signals. Basically working out of Willard there is 4 main pools: Willard to Chicago IL, Willard to Garrett IN, Willard to Toledo which are all seaboard signals and Willard to Cleveland which are old conrail signals. Then there is the yard in Willard. Most of the runs are pretty decent there. If you have any questions about any of it just ask. I used to work as a conductor out of Willard.
Do you still work for the RR?
  by cdabbs21

I have a couple questions. I have a interview in a couple weeks for a conductor job I have been trying to get for a while now, can anyone tell me how they might want you to dress. Dress pants and dress shirt? or nice jeans and a button up fine? And I am worried about the background check they do if I get that far. I have a simple assult on my record. Happen 4 years ago. Nothing seriuos just a punch was thrown and I got in trouble for it. I have not been in trouble since. Will that hurt me? Thanks
  by soontobecsxconductor

[quote="blitzz2"]Received my packet in the email as well yesterday, pretty excited as well, yet a little apprehensive. Not that being away from home is a concern(when you were field artillery in the ARMY, you were gone quite a bit) guess the structure and environment will be a little intimidating at first. Also said I will have the 1st shift class, which is a plus. = more time to study. I'll probably head down on Sat. morning.

the classes are 2 wks 7-3 (classroom) then 2 wks 11-7 (outside hands on) 3-11 last 2 wks (classroom) the bus is at the hotel an hr before class. make sure your at the hotel before 5pm on sun nite because thats when the bus leaves for orientation
  by smalltownga

Got my call today now just waiting on the email. Got to schedule my physical. Thanks for all the information.