Railroad Forums 

• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#871944  by ravenfan

i got the same call. I called them and they said I could send my Military Discharge as a part of my packet.
 #872504  by proto05

Great news, I had a 15 minute interview yesterday, thought I did ok, and today was called with an employment offer! I am starting the process of the background check and pre employment tests..couldnt be happier!

And to anyone going to interview, make sure to mention safety 99% of the time, as that is what the majority of questions will be about. Stuff like "tell me about a time you observed someone working unsafe" or "who is responsible for your safety?" Tell them you make it your priority and are always aware of whats going on around you..all the other questions were about previous work and qualifications (heavy equip, outdoors) They want someone that will do any and all CSX asks of you.

I feel like everyones questions and answers Ive read on this board over the past few months had really helped me focus and get in the mindset of what CSX is looking for. Take it all seriously and youll be fine. When you do get to the interview, like everyone said, be an at least an hour (I was 1st out of 7 guys total) sit straight in your chair, dress decent (I had a short sleeve polo, dockers, dress shoes, no one was wearing boots, jeans that sorta thing, except the kid next to me) make eye contact as much as possible, dont interrupt, be confident, push in your chair, push in your chair, and push in your chair. :-)

Applied Sep 28
Changed to Pending Review Oct 11
Pending Manager Interview Nov 1
Interview scheduled Nov 10th for the 16th
Completed/ Employment Offer Nov 17th
 #872678  by ff3207

Went on a interview today for intermodal service rep. Got home and logged into the CSX website, my app now says application withdrawn by I didn't withdraw it. Any ideas?
 #874190  by FinalMacGyver

Good evening everyone,
First I wanted to thank everyone for this awesome site. I have been lurking for a while and have a few questions.
I have an interview session tomorrow for CSX in Willard Ohio. I've read all over these forums but cant get a good general consensus.

The session starts tomorrow at 9am, My goal is to be there at 8am. Is this early enough? (I have to work at another Job later in the day)
I was going to wear a shirt and a tie but then everyone says not to be to overly dressed, are khakis, a nice polo and dress shoe sufficient?
Any other advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for this awesome forum!!
 #874439  by proto05

Welcome, I just interviewed with CSX last week and am now in the process of doing the pre-employment tests/screenings. Here is a post I made in the "CSX Hiring Process" thread the day after, with pretty much everything I did while there

-Great news, I had a 15 minute interview yesterday, thought I did ok, and today was called with an employment offer! I am starting the process of the background check and pre employment tests..couldnt be happier!

And to anyone going to interview, make sure to mention safety 99% of the time, as that is what the majority of questions will be about. Stuff like "tell me about a time you observed someone working unsafe" or "who is responsible for your safety?" Tell them you make it your priority and are always aware of whats going on around you..all the other questions were about previous work and qualifications (heavy equip, outdoors) He might ask something like "what if the phone rings at 3am on sunday to come in and its pouring out?" They want someone that will do any and all CSX asks of you.

I feel like everyones questions and answers Ive read on this board over the past few months had really helped me focus and get in the mindset of what CSX is looking for. Take it all seriously and youll be fine. When you do get to the interview, like everyone said, be an at least an hour (I was 1st out of 7 guys total, means I finished up at about 10:30, it started at 8) sit straight in your chair, dress decent (I had a short sleeve polo, dockers, dress shoes, no one was wearing boots, jeans that sorta thing, except the kid next to me) make eye contact as much as possible, dont interrupt, be confident, push in your chair, push in your chair, and push in your chair. :-)

Macgyver, if you still have other Q's just reply back or read the CSX Hiring Process thread for some answers, and just keep alot of what I posted above in mind..Good luck!
 #874540  by dkshane

Yeah i applied for an assistant signal worker in Nashville, tn does anyone know anything about this position?
 #874829  by slc777

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had an interview for a track spt position with CSX. I felt the interview went well. The only concern I have is my vision. I have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/400 in my right. With both of my eyes openI have 20/20. I have perfect peripheral vision and I am not colorblind. The problem with my right eye is that it is lazy. I also had good enough vision to get my CDL. Will I be able to pass the vision test? Do they test each individual eye? Thanks in advance.
 #875245  by dirtydave

If you dont have good enough vision, you will have to get corrective lenses.
 #875303  by slc777

I have perfect vision with both eyes open. I only have trouble with my right eye. I can see objects, color, and movement with my right eye, I just cant read small print. Also it cannot be corrected with lenses. I've searched FRA regs and have only found vision regs for conductors. I'm just trying to figure out what the requirements are for a track worker. If they just give me the basic vision chart and colorblind test and let me read it with both eyes open I know I will pass.
 #875531  by dirtydave

I took a vision test for track worker two weeks ago. They do several different tests, the color blind test, with both eyes, then each individual eye, have you ever past a DOT physical? It is similar to the tests they give. I hope this helps, but I aint liking your chances. Good luck.
 #876802  by cwill146

I interviewed on the Nov. 9th in Jacksonville for the external trainmaster position too.

Has anyone heard anything??
 #877016  by ctr44

I interviewed for the External Trainmaster position over the phone, when I went down to Jacksonville, I interviewed for the Customer Service/Network Operations Management Trainee on November 10th. I still have not heard anything back yet.
 #878133  by d0c69

Looking for updates, has anyone been called recently in Philly? If so when did you submit your app and when did you get called?
 #878207  by trueblueme72

hello i just interview for a carman job seems the interview went well .I was there 38 mins before time to start i was last on the list to interview i have had previous railroad carman experance with a substadiser in louisville kentucky seemed they asked me some questions they did not ask the other guys ! Being i was last i heared all of the other guys stuff they were asked . I seem to have been the only one with carman experance. i was also asked if i know how to do the billing for the cars has been over 10 years since then i think i remember how it was done but it was a contractor for the railroads. there were 200 applicants 9 were asked to interview only 8 showed up 5 of the guys looked under 25 me and 2 others were 35 and older any ideas on how you think this may have went . I wore jeans and a t shirt and a hooded zipp up i had a certificate for blueprint reading and leadership training in a gas company i worked for..... how did i do and what to exspect next?????