Railroad Forums 

• Finger Lakes Railway - All Time Roster

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#796579  by scharnhorst

What I was pointing at was that both 1989 and 2004 were given there old numbers insted of getting NS numbers on them. On some of the early NS Rosters they show as being assigned NS numbers but they never got that far.
scottychaos wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:

CR 2004 was the Seconed unit painted i.e. FGLK 2303 this unit was ordered repainted by NS before it was delivered to Finger Lakes as fate had it was repainted and renumbered CONRAIL 2004. Conrail 1989 also came off of NS and was also ordered to be repainted by NS as fate it this unit also got repainted Conrail Blue and renumbered 1989. As to why NS did this is unknowen to me but I would suspect or Guess that both units were nearing an overhaul and an Inspection??
You might be right about 1989 receiving a coat of fresh CR blue around the year 1999..
but you are clearly wrong about 2004..and they were not "renumbered" 1989 and 2004 just before going to FGLK, as you suggest..they wore those numbers for their entire Conrail careers..they wore those numbers for 20 years before going to FGLK..there was no renumbering done before they went to FGLK..
and only 1989 was possibly repainted..but by NS or by FGLK is uncertain..
(it makes no sense NS would repaint units before being sold..unless it was maybe specified in the sales agreement)

2004 in 1995:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1004133

1989 in 1997:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=67846

Both units had fresh "Conrail Quality" paint applied in the mid-late 90's..only a few years before the CR split..

Here are all three units on FGLK in the year 2000:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=11425
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=11423

1989 and 2004 are clearly wearing somewhat fresh, but still several year old "Conrail Quality" paintjobs..
NS did not repaint them..

1989 does however appear to be wearing a much fresher "dip job" of CR blue..hmmm..
Which brings up yet another interesting aspect of the "Why is 1989 still numbured 1989 and still in Conrail blue today??" question..

Perhaps 1989 has remained in her CR blue paint this long simply because a fresh coat was in fact applied in 1999..
thus no real need to repaint for the past 10 years..

that doesnt however explain why she has never been renumbered..
it doesnt explain why she is still number 1989..

The theory that "she will be renumbered to 2302 when she is repainted" has been suggested..(and I even have that on my site..)
but if you think about, that cant be the reason she hasnt been renumbered yet..
because plenty of newer FGLK locos have been renumbered, but NOT repainted!
2306, 2307, 2308, 2309 and 2310 are all wearing new FGLK numbers, but old paint..
(also 1801 was renumbered without being repainted)

So we might have a reason why 1989 hasnt been repainted (simply because the CR blue is "good")
but paint alone does not explain the reason she has kept the number 1989..

Scot
 #796612  by scottychaos

scharnhorst wrote:What I was pointing at was that both 1989 and 2004 were given there old numbers insted of getting NS numbers on them. On some of the early NS Rosters they show as being assigned NS numbers but they never got that far.
oh..ok..but thats not what you said! ;)
you clearly said they were REnumbured..which never happened.

actually..you continue to phrase things oddly..
in your newest post you said "both 1989 and 2004 were given there old numbers"

which is also not true..they were never renumbered OR "given their old numbers"..since they never even lost their old numbers to begin with.
they were still wearing their original Conrail numbers, which they had worn for twenty years, when they first arrived and went into service with FGLK in 1999.

and actually, 1989 has never been renumbered, in her entire existence..she has been number 1989 since the day she was born..

Im just trying to keep the facts straight! ;)

Scot
 #796669  by lvrr325

scharnhorst wrote:What I was pointing at was that both 1989 and 2004 were given there old numbers insted of getting NS numbers on them. On some of the early NS Rosters they show as being assigned NS numbers but they never got that far.
Ever hear the phrase, "you can't dig your way out of a hole" ?
 #796795  by scharnhorst

2309 and 2310 are parked next to the repair shop in Geneva there not in a decent location for photos unless your and emploee or carzy enough to tresspass. There also apeared to be some guys working in the yard maybe doing some track work?? but I did not feel like pulling in to see what was going on.
 #796867  by dutchboy

Im sure trespassing is not the smartest thing to do or even say but lets say it anyways and get them pissed at all railfans that dont trespass...Im sure they will be out and about so you can get some pictures the legal way...
 #796956  by scharnhorst

dutchboy wrote:Im sure trespassing is not the smartest thing to do or even say but lets say it anyways and get them pissed at all railfans that dont trespass...Im sure they will be out and about so you can get some pictures the legal way...
vary true I ofton view things and see it at this If I can't get a clear shot from the car in a public area then its not worth it to step out to get a good photo 99% of my photos are taken while in the car. I'm not a big fan of getting out when a train is passing after haveing a brake shoe get kicked out in my direction 4 years ago.
 #797287  by Matt Langworthy

dutchboy wrote:Im sure trespassing is not the smartest thing to do or even say but lets say it anyways and get them pissed at all railfans that dont trespass...Im sure they will be out and about so you can get some pictures the legal way...
There is a viable alternative: go to the FGLK office and sign a release before checking out the new arrivals. That's the legal (and courteous) way to visit the property.
 #797561  by Plate F

Matt Langworthy wrote:
There is a viable alternative: go to the FGLK office and sign a release before checking out the new arrivals. That's the legal (and courteous) way to visit the property.
That still won't allow you to cross the tracks.

Let's not forget that there is video surveillance on the property. Don't be stupid, just give it a week or two and catch the new locos the normal way like everyone else.