Railroad Forums 

• Can Diesel and Electric locomotives MU?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#702005  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote:MUing a diesel with an electric can only be done if all locomotive functions can be controlled from lead locomotive.
In case of the ACES train NJT had to add switches to the P40 diesel so pantograph can be raised lowered on ALP-44 from the P40 and the Line circuit breaker can be reset.
Operating from the Electric the diesel can only MU if the electric has a engine shutdown funtion, to shut the diesel down in case of fire or technical malfunction.

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER II--FEDERAL RAILROAD ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

PART 229_RAILROAD LOCOMOTIVE SAFETY STANDARDS--Table of Contents

Subpart A_General

Sec. 229.13 Control of locomotives.

Except when a locomotive is moved in accordance with Sec. 229.9, whenever two or more locomotives are coupled in remote or multiple control, the propulsion system, the sanders, and the power brake system of each locomotive shall respond to control from the cab of the controlling locomotive. If a dynamic brake or regenerative brake system is in use, that portion of the system in use shall respond to control from the cab of the controlling locomotive.

Edited by a moderator (clearing a typo) 8-4-09 944PM CDT
Which you should be happy to hear that those modifications were made.........so you can put the CFR away for the night Dutch
 #702298  by Triplex

IIRC, PRR/PC rectifier electrics (E44, E33, PRR experimentals from the 50s) could MU with each other and diesels, but motor-generator electrics (GG1, P5) could only MU with each other?
 #702338  by EDM5970

I have a schematic in my collection that has the MU connections for an E-60 called out. Pin 16 on the E-60 is "Pantograph Down". Pin 16 on a diesel wired to the AAR recommendations is fuel pump. So if you turn on the fuel pump on the diesel, you lower the pan on the electric! As I recall, everything else seemed to check out, 8 and 9 for FO and RE, 3, 7, 12, and 15 for throttle, 6 for GF, etc.

Perhaps that pin 16 was wired that way at Amtrak's request, so that Amtrak crews could not MU the electrics with diesels. Dropping the pan when you start the fuel pump would make a working diesel and electric lash-up impossible. Maybe NJTRO has a different setup, allowing the same cab cars to be used with both forms of power.
 #702443  by DutchRailnut

Just because locomotives are coupled does not mean their MUed .
 #702520  by Jtgshu

EDM5970 wrote:I have a schematic in my collection that has the MU connections for an E-60 called out. Pin 16 on the E-60 is "Pantograph Down". Pin 16 on a diesel wired to the AAR recommendations is fuel pump. So if you turn on the fuel pump on the diesel, you lower the pan on the electric! As I recall, everything else seemed to check out, 8 and 9 for FO and RE, 3, 7, 12, and 15 for throttle, 6 for GF, etc.

Perhaps that pin 16 was wired that way at Amtrak's request, so that Amtrak crews could not MU the electrics with diesels. Dropping the pan when you start the fuel pump would make a working diesel and electric lash-up impossible. Maybe NJTRO has a different setup, allowing the same cab cars to be used with both forms of power.
there is an emergency loco shutdown switch on the cab car that might use that pin, I don't have my 27 pin schematics handy though to check it out.

The emergency loco shutdown switch doesn't say electric or diesel, but there is a seperate pan up button and pan down switch in each of the cab cars.