Railroad Forums 

• WNYRHS Williamsville Depot to get LV caboose 95050

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#689369  by SimTrains

Lehigh Valley caboose 95050 will be moved from Hamburg, NY to the LV Depot in Williamsville, NY this summer I am told. The caboose is still in Conrail blue, and wears it's CR reporting number CR 18671. Anybody know when exactly this will happen? Should be an interesting sight, as I am told the caboose will be trucked from Hamburg to Williamsville.
 #689846  by smph50

Hi Guys! We wanted to get something to show first but since the "cats out of the bag," here you go. The crew at Williamsville have long wanted to get the #95050 moved next to the Depot and it will be painted Cornell Red. The site has been graded and in the next week ties, ballast and rails will be laid. We are still shopping for a moving company that has a real low drop center trailer that will avoid all the hassel with overhead wires. The caboose is still in real nice shape but the interior will need some work to make it show worthy. As progress is made I'll keep you posted. S' Scott
 #690020  by MarkT

Luther Brefo wrote:Will this new location be at all along live rail? Just curios.

There is no live rail in Williamsville. The station/display is part of a walking trail
 #690165  by Otto Vondrak

smph50 wrote: The caboose is still in real nice shape but the interior will need some work to make it show worthy. As progress is made I'll keep you posted.
Keep us posted! If you guys decide to go ahead with a repaint to LV colors, let me know where to send the contribution check.

-otto-
 #690218  by smph50

:P Thanks for all the well wishes guys! I'll make sure I get any news and or photo's posted as soon as I can including the move. Every "bucket" counts, Thank You Otto! I can't tell you how long the process will take, we'll see.
 #690244  by BR&P

In the mid-1960's, the Rochester Railroad Association held an annual open house to promote the industry to the public. Member railroads loaned equipment ranging from a locomotive to PD covered hoppers to an auto rack etc. A couple years it was at (and in) the Erie freight house on Exchange St, and at least once it was at the Regional Market in Henrietta.

One of the times it was held at the Erie, the caboose on display was this LV 95050. IIRC it was fresh from a repaint at Sayre. I'm going to guess about 1965 - if I find the exact date I'll post it.
 #690490  by BR&P

Maybe not quite as many photos as you'd think - the caboose was one of the pieces of rolling stock INSIDE the freight house and thus did not lend itself to good photography. I don't remember for sure, but they MAY have had a walkway from the dock to the end platform so people did not have to climb those LV caboose steps.
 #695025  by SST

Tonight I went bike riding and wondered if the caboose was in its new location. Not yet but the track has been laid. Very nice job on the ballast. Nice straight lines. It took me a while to find the time stamps on the rails. My flashlight washed out the charactors until I laid the light on the rail to cause shadowing. I was pleasantly surprised to see these are old rails.

I thought they'd be laying 1990 rails or something. But the stamp read something like:

BETHLEHEM IIIIIIIII 1916 IV OPEN HEARTH 100AVR.....

The month is not accurate as I did not count them. With my short term memory shorting out, the lettering after the 100 was something like ASR or AVR or something. I'll have to go back and look.

I hope they reinforced the ends of the track bed as gravity and the weight of the caboose will eventually cause the rail to bow and give the caboose the appearance that it is sinking.

Looking forward to its arrival regardless of how it looks.
 #695342  by scottychaos

nice! :P
good to see the old girl getting some attention! :P

It might not be well known, but 95050 happens to be the FIRST LV "northeastern style" steel caboose! :P
The first of the class..(the LV cabooses were not numbered numerically by build date..95001 (the first of the class numerically) was built 4 years after 95050.

She was the first of 140 built by the LV..all built in Sayre 1937-1946.
Built on the Reading pattern.

95050 was built July 18, 1937, in Sayre.

More info:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... umber.html

Scot
 #695375  by umtrr-author

MarkT wrote:
Luther Brefo wrote:Will this new location be at all along live rail? Just curios.

There is no live rail in Williamsville. The station/display is part of a walking trail
And it is a very short walk away from the current home of LBC Trains, a model railroad shop. A little cross promotion wouldn't hurt either venture...
 #695531  by Otto Vondrak

terminalfanatic wrote:Once it is in its new home how long will it take to be restored?
Depends... how quickly can you work? How large a check can you write? :-)