• WNYRHS Williamsville Depot to get LV caboose 95050

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by smph50

:-D Hi Guys! Well the move took place yesterday without much fanfare. I didn't get to see it myself due to work but #95050 is back in Williamville.

Link to Buffalo New Story:
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/06/23/1 ... boose.html

The "Caboose Affair" we held back in April was a great success and since then bid were requested for the move. "Silk Road Transportation" got the job and it all happened in one day. Basic route was Hamburg to South Park Avenue, Southwestern Blvd - Transit Road, Broadway to Ransom Road to Main Street to Williamsville. Started at 7:00AM done at 4:45PM.

I'm waiting for picts from the guys who made the chase. So as I can I'll post them.

Sincerely, Scott
  by umtrr-author

Quote from Buffalo News piece:
For the first time since the mid-1970s, a Lehigh Valley Railway caboose rolled into the Williamsville depot on Wednesday afternoon.

But this blue steel railroad car was not hauled by a steam-powered engine. It arrived by tractor-trailer.
I would be very surprised if a Conrail blue caboose were ever pulled by a steam engine...

Journalism fail aside, this is great news. The article notes plans to have the caboose restored and on display to the public by the end of the summer.
  by Marty Feldner

umtrr-author wrote:
I would be very surprised if a Conrail blue caboose were ever pulled by a steam engine...
Conjob only inherited it. Go back to page 1 of this thread; it's a Lehigh Valley hack, built in 1937. It most certainly would have spent considerable time behind steam (granted, not in CR paint, if that's what you meant)...
  by scottychaos

umtrr-author wrote:Quote from Buffalo News piece:
For the first time since the mid-1970s, a Lehigh Valley Railway caboose rolled into the Williamsville depot on Wednesday afternoon.

But this blue steel railroad car was not hauled by a steam-powered engine. It arrived by tractor-trailer.
Perhaps it was pulled by one of these:

(those arent custom paintjobs! they were actual HO scale offerings from AHM in the 70's..)

Scot
  by railroadcarmover

scottychaos wrote:
umtrr-author wrote:Quote from Buffalo News piece:

Perhaps it was pulled by one of these:

(those arent custom paintjobs! they were actual HO scale offerings from AHM in the 70's..)

Scot
LOLOLOL :-D AHM should have conducted better research as to the numbering of these steam engines. I never recall seeing any Conrail steam locomotives with these numbers. Infact I recall seeing 4 different Conrail steam locomotives in NJ back in the late 70s and the numbers were in the 4000 series.
Infact one of them was drilling cars in Linden Stiles Street Yard and I recall the conductor telling me that the automaker did not like it when Conrail drilled the autorack yard with the steamer since the open top and side racks did not protect the autos from the locomotive's soot.
Another Conrail steam engine was the trailing unit on a CR MOPI that was coupled to 2 GP30s and pulling 40 gondolas of coils from the Fairless Works plant back in 81.
Another issue with the AHM steam locomotive is that I do not recall seeing a "CR" stencil on the piston box.

:-D :-)
  by conrail71

LOLOLOL AHM should have conducted better research as to the numbering of these steam engines. I never recall seeing any Conrail steam locomotives with these numbers. Infact I recall seeing 4 different Conrail steam locomotives in NJ back in the late 70s and the numbers were in the 4000 series.
Infact one of them was drilling cars in Linden Stiles Street Yard and I recall the conductor telling me that the automaker did not like it when Conrail drilled the autorack yard with the steamer since the open top and side racks did not protect the autos from the locomotive's soot.
Another Conrail steam engine was the trailing unit on a CR MOPI that was coupled to 2 GP30s and pulling 40 gondolas of coils from the Fairless Works plant back in 81.
Another issue with the AHM steam locomotive is that I do not recall seeing a "CR" stencil on the piston box.
Ummmm, wait, what? You are being facetious right? I'm pretty sure that no steam locomotives worked for Conrail on this planet...
Mike
  by SimTrains

This thread is taking a turn for the worse me thinks. lol.
Before Otto locks it I'd like to say kudos to the WNYRHS for getting that hack to it's new home. I can't wait to see it all painted up and lookin' nice! :-D
  by SST

After shopping at TOPS last evening, which sits next too the LVRR ROW, I drove over to the depot. Nice to see it finally there. Good work and hope to see some more soon.
  by railroadcarmover

conrail71 wrote:
LOLOLOL AHM should have conducted better research as to the numbering of these steam engines. I never recall seeing any Conrail steam locomotives with these numbers. Infact I recall seeing 4 different Conrail steam locomotives in NJ back in the late 70s and the numbers were in the 4000 series.
Ummmm, wait, what? You are being facetious right? I'm pretty sure that no steam locomotives worked for Conrail on this planet...
Mike
Yes, I am totally kidding. No steam locomotives ever worked for CR. I just couldn't resist leaving the silly comment when I saw the pictures of those AHM CR steamers. :-D
  by umtrr-author

Marty Feldner wrote:
umtrr-author wrote:
Conjob only inherited it. Go back to page 1 of this thread; it's a Lehigh Valley hack, built in 1937. It most certainly would have spent considerable time behind steam (granted, not in CR paint, if that's what you meant)...
Yes, Marty, I meant in CR paint. :-)