Railroad Forums 

• Never give up

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#66430  by Mr. Toy

2nd trick op wrote:But the Democrats' biggest embarrasment in these parts isn't Amtrak...it's the National Education Association.

....calls for funding for Amtrak are not an easy sell in an area with a large number of socially-conservative retirees on a limited income.
Curious. Amtrak provides rural America with an inexpensive transportation alternative.

As for the National Endowment of the Arts, I once read that its budget is less than the budget for military bands. Last January President Bush proposed an $18 million increase in the NEA budget. (see: http://www.nea.gov/news/news04/American ... eces1.html )

So red America voted for the president who wants to take away their affordable transportation and increase funding for the unpopular NEA. Go figure.
 #66432  by railfanofewu

TO tell the truth, Red America is mostly anit-union right to work states, so they do not like the NEA much either. I wished we could get some more trains going, but the odds are stacked against it, but never give up. I think the idea of adding just a few minor pro-amtrak conditions to subsidies for track upgrades would be the best way to go.
 #66475  by Greg Moore

Noel Weaver wrote:I If congress passes a bill to provide the needed
funds for Amtrak, Bush might veto it and put things back to square one.

Noel Weaver
I highly doubt this. President Bush has vetoed a grand total of zero bills as President.

As Amtrak spending is always part of a larger appropriations package, I can't see him vetoing any bill that approves more for Amtrak than he'd like.
 #66481  by LI Loco

I don't think Mr. Toy was referring to the National Endowment for the Arts, but rather the National Education Assn., i.e. the leading teachers' union.

He was objecting to teachers earning $40,000 - $50,000 per year while working families are trying to get by on $25,000 - $30,000 per year. Unfortunately, the problem isn't teachers salaries. Believe it or not, $40,000 - $50,000 is not high for a teacher, and teachers are required to hold masters degrees. The problem is a lack of better jobs for people who now make $25,000 - $30,000.

#66666  by AmtrakFan

I think we should cut the NEA, War budget, Highway, Airline and Other Country Aids to fund Amtrak they provide low cost Transpertation.

AmtrakFan