• Never give up

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Mr. Toy

2nd trick op wrote:But the Democrats' biggest embarrasment in these parts isn't Amtrak...it's the National Education Association.

....calls for funding for Amtrak are not an easy sell in an area with a large number of socially-conservative retirees on a limited income.
Curious. Amtrak provides rural America with an inexpensive transportation alternative.

As for the National Endowment of the Arts, I once read that its budget is less than the budget for military bands. Last January President Bush proposed an $18 million increase in the NEA budget. (see: http://www.nea.gov/news/news04/American ... eces1.html )

So red America voted for the president who wants to take away their affordable transportation and increase funding for the unpopular NEA. Go figure.
  by railfanofewu

TO tell the truth, Red America is mostly anit-union right to work states, so they do not like the NEA much either. I wished we could get some more trains going, but the odds are stacked against it, but never give up. I think the idea of adding just a few minor pro-amtrak conditions to subsidies for track upgrades would be the best way to go.
  by Greg Moore

Noel Weaver wrote:I If congress passes a bill to provide the needed
funds for Amtrak, Bush might veto it and put things back to square one.

Noel Weaver
I highly doubt this. President Bush has vetoed a grand total of zero bills as President.

As Amtrak spending is always part of a larger appropriations package, I can't see him vetoing any bill that approves more for Amtrak than he'd like.
  by LI Loco

I don't think Mr. Toy was referring to the National Endowment for the Arts, but rather the National Education Assn., i.e. the leading teachers' union.

He was objecting to teachers earning $40,000 - $50,000 per year while working families are trying to get by on $25,000 - $30,000 per year. Unfortunately, the problem isn't teachers salaries. Believe it or not, $40,000 - $50,000 is not high for a teacher, and teachers are required to hold masters degrees. The problem is a lack of better jobs for people who now make $25,000 - $30,000.

by AmtrakFan

I think we should cut the NEA, War budget, Highway, Airline and Other Country Aids to fund Amtrak they provide low cost Transpertation.

AmtrakFan