Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#422794  by Tom Curtin

I am at my wtis' end with the abnormal weekend service on the 1,2,3!! In one respect it's fortunate to live near an express stop (in our case, 72nd St), but when you find everything running local all weekend, weekend after weekend, it's utterly infuriating.

Can somebody state authoritatively (I mean "no opinions or guesses") how long we will have to put up with this?

Some weekend service patterns defy all logic --- such as when the 2,3 run local and the 1 runs express. Absolutely and totally defies logic.
 #423202  by DCmetrogreen

For as long as there is a subway. The MTA has to use the weekends to do maitenence on the subways. The 1, 2, 3 thing is because of South Ferry construction for a new South Ferry terminal.

#423215  by Gerry6309

At least the TA keeps most of the lines running, Boston's MbtA gives us shutdowns with bus shuttles, which take forever to get to their destinations!
 #441904  by ryanov

DCmetrogreen wrote:For as long as there is a subway. The MTA has to use the weekends to do maitenence on the subways. The 1, 2, 3 thing is because of South Ferry construction for a new South Ferry terminal.
I'd love to know why something at the very end of the line prevents nearly the entire line from running express.

#441947  by Pelham

Well its simple since they are doing work at South Ferry they can't run Any service between South Ferry and Chambers St. So Downtown # 1 train have to turn back uptown some where. If they turn at Chambers Street it will block Brooklyn Bound # 2/3 service so the last stop is 14 Street. However it can only turn on the Downtown Express track to go back north. So # 1 trains go Express between 34 St and 14 Street. The # 2/3 service run local since 14 St being a terminal would delay service.
 #444550  by Tom Curtin

Yes, I appreciate they need to do trackwork on weekends. My complaint which started this thread is that the 2-3 express tracks in Manhattan seem to be embroiled in the world's most ungodly interminable trackwork project --- we put up with locals every weekend the whole damned spring, summer, fall of 2006 and we're putting up with it again this year. AND on weekdays when the express is running, we have to put up with what seem to be slow orders. To quote the estimable Charlie Brown, "ARRGHHHHHHH!"

#521045  by keithsy

YOU THINK YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE? Do not get me started, either. It defies logic.

#521089  by Wallyhorse

Actually:

I don't believe it has to do with work on the South Ferry Terminal since trains still use that station on the weekends, even if not in passenger service there. I believe that has to do with work on the new buildings at the World Trade Center that require that service be suspended between Chambers and South Ferry.

#521137  by Kamen Rider

Wallyhorse wrote:Actually:

I don't believe it has to do with work on the South Ferry Terminal since trains still use that station on the weekends, even if not in passenger service there. I believe that has to do with work on the new buildings at the World Trade Center that require that service be suspended between Chambers and South Ferry.
No; A lot of it was the SF project. Most blasting was done on weekends and service was cut for safety. then there was the demolition of the tunnel segment where the new line joins. there will likely be a stint with the line closed to install the interlocking between the new and old. the WTC construction has only come recently. They did a how EP of Extreme Engineering on the new station.

#522277  by jonnhrr

Some questions about the new South Ferry station:

1) Will it still have the sharp curve or has that been made more gradual?

2) Will all cars now be able to open doors at the station?

3) Will the non-revenue connection to the Lexington Ave. line Bowling Green station be retained?

Jon

#522284  by jonnhrr

I answered some of my questions. I found a page on the MTA site which describes the project. Looks like it will be a stub end station so no issue with loops, gap fillers, and all cars fit at platform. No mention of track connection to the 4/5 though.

Jon

#522297  by Kamen Rider

jonnhrr wrote:I answered some of my questions. I found a page on the MTA site which describes the project. Looks like it will be a stub end station so no issue with loops, gap fillers, and all cars fit at platform. No mention of track connection to the 4/5 though.

Jon
no metion becuase there won't be one.
 #522304  by Wallyhorse

That is well known:

The new station won't have a connection to the 4/5, but there will be a transfer to/from the R/W trains at South Ferry, which is important.

One thing that I suggested elsewhere was once the new station opens, I would keep the old one open and have it go back to its original use, that being for Lexington Avenue trains since from what I've read, that is what a lot of people coming from the SI Ferry want once the new station opens. I would do so in the following manner:

When not running to Brooklyn (except during overnights when it is not running at all), the 5 train would terminate at South Ferry rather than Bowling Green as it does now.

When the 5 is running to Brooklyn, the old shuttle train is revived, with the old short platform at Bowling Green put back into use for that purpose.

During overnights, the 6 train is extended to South Ferry and handles those chores.
 #522317  by Kamen Rider

Wallyhorse wrote:That is well known:

The new station won't have a connection to the 4/5, but there will be a transfer to/from the R/W trains at South Ferry, which is important.

One thing that I suggested elsewhere was once the new station opens, I would keep the old one open and have it go back to its original use, that being for Lexington Avenue trains since from what I've read, that is what a lot of people coming from the SI Ferry want once the new station opens. I would do so in the following manner:

When not running to Brooklyn (except during overnights when it is not running at all), the 5 train would terminate at South Ferry rather than Bowling Green as it does now.

When the 5 is running to Brooklyn, the old shuttle train is revived, with the old short platform at Bowling Green put back into use for that purpose.

During overnights, the 6 train is extended to South Ferry and handles those chores.
they are replacing the loop station. they don't want to use it anymore for revenue trains. it's a hassel.
 #522748  by b&p rupture

Wallyhorse wrote: When the 5 is running to Brooklyn, the old shuttle train is revived, with the old short platform at Bowling Green put back into use for that purpose.
At SF this shuttle had it's own platform, on the inner loop. The curve there is even tighter than the #1 platform. Special cars were used, modified so only 1 doorway on the car would open, the other two would not be at the platform. Anyways the labor costs, and other costs prohibit this service anymore. And would only save a VERY short walking distance.