Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#522750  by Wallyhorse

I know about the old inner loop station:

This revised version would have the shuttle use the still-presently used outer, not the inner loop station. While yes, it is a short distance to BG, apparently there are a lot of people coming from the SI Ferry who would rather not walk the few blocks to Bowling Green (especially I would think in bad weather) and instead have the Lexington line start at South Ferry, as apparently a lot of Ferry riders have from my understanding specifically requested this be done once the 1 moves to the new station.

In this version, the shuttle (and it's old platform at BG) would only be used during rush hours (when the 5 runs to Brooklyn). The rest of the time, in this version, the 5 (except during the overnights) would terminate at South Ferry in the current station once the 1 goes to the new one, while in the overnights, the 6 would go to South Ferry instead of terminating at Brooklyn Bridge.

If enough people actually want the said service to start at South Ferry, then I would look at reviving the old BG-SF shuttle during rush hours (using the outer rather than the inner platform at SF) and at other times do as noted above.

#522793  by Kamen Rider

the TA doesn't want to use the old loop station for main line passenger service anymore. your esentally taking what was wrong with the 1 and making it into a problem for the 5. the SF loop slows up service at South ferry itself due to speed restrictions, and at Rector street waiting for people in the back 5 cars to get to the front. South ferry wasn't even the line's operational southern terminal untill recently, it was northbound at chambers.

The only reason they aren't demosihing it outright is it's a registered historic place (and is the only connection between the west and east side lines in Manhattan).

#540039  by Wallyhorse

That may be what the TA wants to do now, however:

From what I read, it was made clear a while back that SI Ferry riders actually want the old SF station to remain open and become a station for the east side line (as it actually was originally). There would be no need to use the inner loop station, the outer loop would be more than sufficient for this.

And I don't think the loop in this format would cause as many problems on the 5 train as it has on the 1, especially since the 5 would not be using the loop during rush hours (when it runs to Brooklyn) the way I would do this (the old BG shuttle would be revived for those trips, using the old short platform).

#540170  by Kamen Rider

Wallyhorse wrote:That may be what the TA wants to do now, however:

From what I read, it was made clear a while back that SI Ferry riders actually want the old SF station to remain open and become a station for the east side line (as it actually was originally). There would be no need to use the inner loop station, the outer loop would be more than sufficient for this.

And I don't think the loop in this format would cause as many problems on the 5 train as it has on the 1, especially since the 5 would not be using the loop during rush hours (when it runs to Brooklyn) the way I would do this (the old BG shuttle would be revived for those trips, using the old short platform).
What the riders want? there are riders who want a Broadway brooklyn train to go up 6th ave again. there are riders who want 8th-Concorse service again.

The outer loop will NEVER be sufficent unless it can platform a whole train. trains have to file in one at a time, which causes slower run times and more space between trains. the two track configuration at almost every other terminal in the system allows more flexablity. when SF was built, you had shorter trains and an intellagent riding public. Now you have idiot torists who don't know the front of the train from the back. read the "Day in the life of a conductor" on NYCSubway.org.

Single track loops are bottel necks. lets say, right now, a #1 train died on the loop. you'd be stuck having to relay from rector street.
 #547398  by Wallyhorse

That is true on the 1 right now, however:

You currently have the same issue with the 5 train on the inner loop at South Ferry when the 5 uses that to turn around. That will still be an issue long after the 1 goes to the new station.

You will always have idiots who can't read, but based on everything I have read, my way of keeping old SF open (reviving the old shuttle rush hours, 6 extended from BB during overnights and 5 at all other times) would work, and many riders who especially late at night don't want to have to walk from BG to the ferry would appreciate being able to take the 6 during those hours to SF in particular. That to me makes keeping the old SF station open, but using it for the Lexington Line, worth it (and also working out a transfer there between the new 1 station and the R/W at Whitehall if possible from the old SF station).
 #547406  by Kamen Rider

If a 5 craped out on the loop, the others trains behind him still have an option to run to brooklyn. i will admit to that. but the Old station is too small for modern needs. you can only platform 5 cars and you need gap fillers (so that slows things down even more). it can also be very loud from the train screeching aound the curve. and it's not that hard for a Lexington ave rider to transfer for a crosstown to the west side regaurdless how late it is.